Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Anyone ever tip a soobie over ?

Scott in Bellingham

Well, I went into a ditch at about 35 degree angle when I slid off a snow bank. Put out a cloud of blue smoke from the oil leaking past the rings when I started it up afterwards, but no other ill effects. I've got pic somewhere of me and the dodge hemi who got stuck trying to tow me out (he had highway tires, and not the most experienced driver) -- maybe I'll find it and post tonight.

His name is Todd and he is the North end King of subarus.And thank god he's my next door neighbor. He still has that sub sitting in his shop just waiting for the perfect time to take it out again. If you could see the whole Brat you would see that you couldn't do much damage to it by just flipping it over. I hope todd doesn't take that the wrong way:grin:

Jeff

who is that guy? what got damaged, how did happen

The after

142todup.jpg

His roll bar saved him. He and the passenger were both wearing seatblets, they were fine.

I was perched up on a bank to take photos as the soobs came up this bowl. He made it thru, but when he hit the top, his back end kicked over a little and he didn't correct enough. This sent his front end up the bank I was standing on. He hit the brakes when he thought he'd hit me. I actuall had my foot on his front bumper he came so close. After that, the brat rolled over. Ker thunk, ker thunk. Then all the stuff he had in the back came crashing down.

We pulled it back over, cleaned the oil out of the air box, fired it up and continued.

741P1240133-med.jpg

this was outside of Oakridge Or, driving waaay to fast, went about 2.5 car lengths up enbankment, flipped onto hood, then back onto drivers side when we hit the drainage ditch, good thing we didn't go off the downhill side, steep and lots of trees.

741P1240127-med.jpgmy buddy brian (pictured, I had to treat him for psycogenic shock right after this picture, check out his headlight) and I tried to flip it back over, you can see the sliding the car did in the snow. We had to hike up to the top of the mountain to get cell service, called in the recovery team, john, randy and jay (thanks again guys)

once righted we let the car sit for 20 minutes, fired right off, but the powersteering pump was trashed, so we just trailered it back to eugene, This was the leftovers (motor, IC, exhaust, hood+scoop, wheels, boost gauge) of Sean and Erik's 87' RX rally car. The roofline was totalled so I parted the car, the wheels and exhaust went to Msslageko's 83 t-wagon, and the rest into an identical donor shell. It's still rolling around p-town last I heard. makes me nastalgic, I loved that car to death!

it looks like it was a clean hatch before it flipped

Was the cleanest one I have ever seen.

On the bright side, I do have a replacement. Got another '85 body, swaped drive train out of wreck one, installing a 3" lift in the prosess. Redrilled the hubs for 6 lug 14" Nissan wheels fitted with 27X9.50/14 Super Swamper SSR's. Still have alot of intierior work to do. I'm getting the doors off the wrecked car ready to put on the new one, (they were the only good sheet meatel left). New car is black so the lite bule doors don't go to well. Work in progress, but it should be worth it when it is done.

ya i was wheeling when i first got my hatch and me being unexperienced i wasnt watching the trails too well. and wheeling at night didnt help the situation. ne ways im going down a trail and i got in a big rut. that wasnt the problem though the problem was that while i was in the rut my opposite tire ran over a tree root. and then she went over. frineds help me flip it back over and finished the night. made a cool dent in my door... well more like a crease..

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/photos/showphoto.php?photo=8858&size=big&sort=1&cat=500