Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Beating a dead horse - 99 OBW Speedo...

Hi all,

I have just spent a good while reading old threads about the speedometers in the 1999 OBW failing, but I can't seem to find one with my particular symptoms...

My car: 99 Leagacy Outback Wagon 2.5l 5-speed manual approx. 117,000mi

(analog odometer)

-Cruise control totally non-functioning (even when the speedo is working)

-Speedo/Odo stop working at the same time

-No CEL

-Tapping the dash (ok... you got me -- pounding on the dash with fist) does not work

-Started failing occasionally, but is to the point where it will come on for only 10-25% of the time

-All other gagues work fine (I use my Tach as my speedo...)

Okay... so, what do you think? What kind of money do you think I have to drop to get this fixed?

Thank you so much for your help.

jake

On my former 1990 legacy this happened once, it was basically the speed cable that runs into the top of the transmission. You should check 1st to see that this cable is actually attached, if it is then you should pull it and then place the car on a lift and run it in first gear. While the car is running look inside the tranny unit and you should be able to see a gear/nut turning this is what turns the speed cable and transmits the info to your dash. If this thing is turning you have a bad cable, if it is not you have a bad I dont know what, but it requires some minor transmission work. I am not a mechanic so I hope this made sense to you?

Hi all,

I have just spent a good while reading old threads about the speedometers in the 1999 OBW failing, but I can't seem to find one with my particular symptoms...

(analog odometer)

-No CEL

-Tapping the dash (ok... you got me -- pounding on the dash with fist) does not work

-Started failing occasionally, but is to the point where it will come on for only 10-25% of the time

Okay... so, what do you think? What kind of money do you think I have to drop to get this fixed?

jake

Hi all,

(analog odometer)

-No CEL

jake

I have a 99 Legacy sedan 2.2 5 speed with some of the same problems, speedo/odo works 60-70% of the time. Cruise always works. If I tap the winshield washer button the speedo comes back to life most of the time. There was a post about 10-14 months ago about this same problem. I thought I had saved it because it had instructions on how to adjust the odo if you picked up an used speedo head. Check fuses on the cruise. If you have intermittent speedo/odo functions and no cruise you may have a speed sensor problem. That piece is on the transmission. Get an 8# sledge hammer, wind up with a full swing and tap the transmission :-) I know my problem is speedo head so I did not investigate the speed sensor issue on the transmission.

Good luck,

Greg

• 2 weeks later...
Check fuses on the cruise. If you have intermittent speedo/odo functions and no cruise you may have a speed sensor problem. That piece is on the transmission. Get an 8# sledge hammer, wind up with a full swing and tap the transmission :-) I know my problem is speedo head so I did not investigate the speed sensor issue on the transmission.

Good luck,

Greg

The fuse for the cruise is fine... From what I have read, I think it is definitely my VSS.

Besides beating on my tranny with a sledge, is there anything I can do personally to fix this? Can I replace the speed sensor module on the outside of the transmission, or does it require dropping the tranny/taking it apart to get at the VSS?

Has anyone paid to have this fixed? What kind of change do this I would have dishing out?

Thanks again.

jake

edit: Found this: http://autorepair.about.com/library/a/1h/bl833h.htm?terms=vss+subaru . It references an auto tran, but is this valid for the manual as well?