Ultimate Subaru Message Board

little lift

well fried my comp a cpl weeks ago and got a little bored in my free time and did a little lift to the roo, the back is lifted up about 3 inches in all with the suspension adjusted up and some steel extensions on the top(ill get a decent pic of them tomorrow) up front is just the suspension adjusted up but im gonna put a 1 inch spacer on the top of the strut and that should hopefully keep it from bottoming out into the fender the rear doesnt hit the fender at all now even with jumping. the tires are drilled out izuzu's with 235/75/15's on them, tires are a bit worn and when i go to get some newer ones ill likely go down a size on them. anyways heres the pics of how the cars looking

IM001309.jpg

IM001311.jpg

IM001313.jpg

the spacer in the rear is a cpl pieces of steel bolted to to the top of the coilover and then up to the mounting spot up top, heres a pic of how it had looked before i redid that crooked piece(i drilled the hole off so i made a new piece) as for the front im gonna make a spacer for the top of the strut where it bolts up to the body, right now though it is only the stock adjustable suspension adjusted up.

IM001315.jpg

and it is a stronger setup than it looks, i have done a few jumps and haulling a$$ through the bumpy field i got and it hasnt bent at all

cool, that looks simple enough. if that lifts the body up, then doesn't that technically pull the wheels in a little or something? the axles have to follow the body up right, so that means it would pull the wheels in some or something? i've never done anything with lifts as you can tell.

why do people build spacers for the rear diff? that would just reduce the axle angle if you lift the struts and then lift above the diff too?

no problem gary ive asked i dont know how many questions myself about them.

and the way im doing my lifting is pretty much simular to putting a set of suspension lift blocks on a truck. and it does move the back wheels a little toward the back door very simular to the way i have seen the AA lift do. this really is nothing like the full body lifts other ppl have done here, just a basic clearance thing

as for the rear differential yes they drop them to help with the axle angles. but 1 mine are almost at their max downward travel, and 2 looking at the axle angles on flat ground they seem like they are no more than i have seen on other peoples lifts.

the axles only follow the body up if you just do a simple lift like me if you do the fullout body lift most have done here the motor and drivetrain will be moved down away from the body.

im still learning on these lifts myself so i will really only be able to answer questions about what im doing pretty much, there are alot of guys here that can get alot more technical about the stuff than I.

my basic reason for doing is i want the more ground clearance with the bigger tires but i dont want to cut my fenders any higher, though i may have to on the front since i dont want to put too much more of an angle on the front axles but i will see just how much i have to play with on that.i know im tired of dragging the whole drivetrain at stock height going through the ruts left by the bigger trucks.as it is i have already slammed up the rear floorpan on the drivers side up about 4 inches from it hitting while offroading.

the spacer in the rear is a cpl pieces of steel bolted to to the top of the coilover and then up to the mounting spot up top, heres a pic of how it had looked before i redid that crooked piece(i drilled the hole off so i made a new piece) as for the front im gonna make a spacer for the top of the strut where it bolts up to the body, right now though it is only the stock adjustable suspension adjusted up.

IM001315.jpg

and it is a stronger setup than it looks, i have done a few jumps and haulling a$$ through the bumpy field i got and it hasnt bent at all

I like this, exactly what I was looking for as only wanted-need a couple of inches!! cheers Pesky

Meh. Looks good, but you would be WAY better off with a lift. More clearance for tires, and keeps suspension geometry the same. I'm not quite sure on this but, when you put a spacer on your rear shock and no where else that puts more angle on the axles. With a lift kit they have the spacer for the shock and the differential hanger and the torsion bar, therefore keeping the suspension the same. The way you have it is okay, but it is putting more strain on your axles. Also with the addition of bigger tires it probably putting even more strain on your axles.(having to push bigger tires with more angle on the axles)

just my $0.02

Meh. Looks good, but you would be WAY better off with a lift. More clearance for tires, and keeps suspension geometry the same. I'm not quite sure on this but, when you put a spacer on your rear shock and no where else that puts more angle on the axles. With a lift kit they have the spacer for the shock and the differential hanger and the torsion bar, therefore keeping the suspension the same. The way you have it is okay, but it is putting more strain on your axles. Also with the addition of bigger tires it probably putting even more strain on your axles.(having to push bigger tires with more angle on the axles)

just my $0.02

this is true, but in the rear, they can take a couple inches

well part of my reason for doing this Adog is because i dont want to put that kinda money into my roo i got more of my funds going toward my veggie benz right now.and if i i decide i need to and get the time i actually have the bolts and steel to drop the differential down.probably wont bother though. i figure if i break an axle then i need to make some adjustment. as for the front i think im just gonna trim the fenders up since i dont want to put anymore strain on the axles and at least give it a little downtravel ability. basically ill keep trimming it till the tires dont rub at their highest travel point, about the only problem ive noticed on the back is it is pretty much at its max downtravel point, but at max uptravel point i still have about 2 inches before it would rub the wheelwell.

thanks pesky your welcome to use the idea if you wish, btw forgot to mention these are made from 2 inch thick wall steel tubing cut in half.

hey numbchux you had to learn the hard way just how much thay could take huh???lol