Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Which Fender flares for my hatch

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 justified

justified

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • central illinois

Posted 12 November 2005 - 03:48 PM

Well, I have to get some wider tires, and I concerned with getting a ticket for

not having enough fender to cover them up. The cops around here are known

for getting out the tape measure to check things like tire clearence, bumper

height, etc, and I've already been pulled over for not having a rear bumper. (c'mon shady, need some tube bumpers)

Anyway, I need some fender flares, pocket or other, to help me stay compliant.

Any ideas on what flares I should get? What are you guys using? What model

were they originally for? BTW I have an 87 hatch. Any info would be helpful...

#2 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

i am not sure they even make any to fit subes, but i have seen them before.they have those rubber flares that come in a roll and you just trim to fit.they usually look good.

#3 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 12 November 2005 - 08:42 PM

Go to any garden store or major dept stores garden section and look for the 3in rubber or PVC seperation stripping. Its used for dividing the lawn from flowerbeds. Comes in rolls.

#4 justified

justified

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • central illinois

Posted 12 November 2005 - 10:40 PM

I was hoping I could just grab a set for like a toyota or something, bolt them on, then trim the fender to fit. I figure someone out there with a hatch already knows what would fit and what won't. There aren't any 4x4 shops around where I could pull some off the shelf and see what might fit.

I have about 6 feet of the garden edge stuff in the garage, but I'd rather spend some $ and get some buchwackers or something along those lines.

Thanks for the input.

#5 Brumby Boy

Brumby Boy

ozzy subaru nut

• Members
  • 525 posts
  • Tsvl, QLD, Australia

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:21 AM

subarubrat has thoes bushwackers and they look sic:headbang: but he is using 33"s and has cut his guards to bugery

#6 Numbchux

Numbchux

EJ conversion addict

• Members
  • 5,991 posts
  • Duluth, MN

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:24 PM

mildly off topic....but if you're cops are known for being sticklers on bumper height....you might want to check your laws....here, technically it's 20" :rolleyes:

#7 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:36 PM

I'd look into flares for a Sammy. They have nice small wheel wells. Supposedly Wrangler flares fit nice on them, so that's another option. Bushwhacker just came out with a line of flares for the Sammy.

#8 justified

justified

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • central illinois

Posted 13 November 2005 - 12:50 PM

mildly off topic....but if you're cops are known for being sticklers on bumper height....you might want to check your laws....here, technically it's 20" :rolleyes:

I checked, I'm a little high in the back, but the locals only seem to care about the front. If anyone else is interested in checking their states laws, http://www.truckworl.../lift-laws.html seems to be a good spot for info.

I hope this doesn't make me sound too stupid, but whats a Sammy?

#9 justified

justified

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • central illinois

Posted 13 November 2005 - 01:53 PM

Suzuki Samuri...It took me a minute...Thanks for the info, Where did you see the flares for the Suzuki? I cant seem to find them anywhere on-line

#10 A DOG

A DOG

Subaru Ninjai for hire

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:01 PM

I got my fender flares for my wagon off a 1981 VW Jetta. I had to do some trimming, but not much. Heres a pic

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 13 November 2005 - 02:08 PM

http://www.autobarn.net/pac52189.html

http://www.autobarn....i/pac52156.html

http://www.autobarn.net/pac52171.html

here is how they look:

http://www.uteworld....hrang/flexy.htm

#12 justified

justified

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • central illinois

Posted 13 November 2005 - 03:35 PM

Ah yes, the flexi flares. I've seen them before, but I just found the bushwackers for the Samuri. I like the pocket look better, but the price is about $250 more for the sammy flares than the universal flexi-flares. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for all the input guys, you've really helped me out on this one..

#13 FlyB0y

FlyB0y

Apprentice to Subie Gurus

• Members
  • 855 posts
  • Marooned in Oregon City

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:20 PM

I got my fender flares for my wagon off a 1981 VW Jetta. I had to do some trimming, but not much. Heres a pic

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now that's my kinda mod! :slobber:

Those look stock! Did you put them on just for the looks, or did you cut out your fenders for larger tires? I have simply been cutting tabs 1" in on my fenders and bending them back, so if they are still pretty close the the subaru wheel well shape I might have to go get some :brow:

#14 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 13 November 2005 - 06:26 PM

^ Yeah, those Jetta flares look mighty fine. Nice work.

And sorry for the confusion. Suzuki Samurai = Sammy.

#15 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,128 posts
  • WA

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:31 PM

I was hoping I could just grab a set for like a toyota or something, bolt them on, then trim the fender to fit. I figure someone out there with a hatch already knows what would fit and what won't. There aren't any 4x4 shops around where I could pull some off the shelf and see what might fit.

I have about 6 feet of the garden edge stuff in the garage, but I'd rather spend some $ and get some buchwackers or something along those lines.

Thanks for the input.

Why get expensive flares when they will just get torn off when you offroad the car? Unless you dont have any trees or big rocks where you offroad?

#16 justified

justified

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • central illinois

Posted 13 November 2005 - 09:07 PM

Rocks, no. Trees, yes, but the idea is not to rip them off. I bought hy Hatch to kind of use for a utility vehicle. You know, get to those fishing spots by car instead of a 10 mile hike into the backwoods. We also have some nice beaches on some of the rivers around here that are only accessible by 4WD and boat. Other than that its all mud and fields. Besides the bushwackers are pretty durable and they look badass...

#17 A DOG

A DOG

Subaru Ninjai for hire

• Members
  • 859 posts
  • Bozeman

Posted 14 November 2005 - 09:23 AM

Now that's my kinda mod! :slobber:

Those look stock! Did you put them on just for the looks, or did you cut out your fenders for larger tires?

I put them on for looks at first, but now there not on there beacsue I have huge tires that'll rub with the flares on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users