Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Which Fender flares for my hatch

justified

Well, I have to get some wider tires, and I concerned with getting a ticket for

not having enough fender to cover them up. The cops around here are known

for getting out the tape measure to check things like tire clearence, bumper

height, etc, and I've already been pulled over for not having a rear bumper. (c'mon shady, need some tube bumpers)

Anyway, I need some fender flares, pocket or other, to help me stay compliant.

Any ideas on what flares I should get? What are you guys using? What model

were they originally for? BTW I have an 87 hatch. Any info would be helpful...

I was hoping I could just grab a set for like a toyota or something, bolt them on, then trim the fender to fit. I figure someone out there with a hatch already knows what would fit and what won't. There aren't any 4x4 shops around where I could pull some off the shelf and see what might fit.

I have about 6 feet of the garden edge stuff in the garage, but I'd rather spend some $ and get some buchwackers or something along those lines.

Thanks for the input.

mildly off topic....but if you're cops are known for being sticklers on bumper height....you might want to check your laws....here, technically it's 20" :rolleyes:
I checked, I'm a little high in the back, but the locals only seem to care about the front. If anyone else is interested in checking their states laws, http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tech/97-lift-laws/lift-laws.html seems to be a good spot for info.

I hope this doesn't make me sound too stupid, but whats a Sammy?

Ah yes, the flexi flares. I've seen them before, but I just found the bushwackers for the Samuri. I like the pocket look better, but the price is about $250 more for the sammy flares than the universal flexi-flares. I'll have to think about it. Thanks for all the input guys, you've really helped me out on this one..

I got my fender flares for my wagon off a 1981 VW Jetta. I had to do some trimming, but not much. Heres a pic

8644fenderflaresfr-med.jpg

8644fenderflaresbr1-med.jpg

Now that's my kinda mod! :slobber:

Those look stock! Did you put them on just for the looks, or did you cut out your fenders for larger tires? I have simply been cutting tabs 1" in on my fenders and bending them back, so if they are still pretty close the the subaru wheel well shape I might have to go get some :brow:

I was hoping I could just grab a set for like a toyota or something, bolt them on, then trim the fender to fit. I figure someone out there with a hatch already knows what would fit and what won't. There aren't any 4x4 shops around where I could pull some off the shelf and see what might fit.

I have about 6 feet of the garden edge stuff in the garage, but I'd rather spend some $ and get some buchwackers or something along those lines.

Thanks for the input.

Why get expensive flares when they will just get torn off when you offroad the car? Unless you dont have any trees or big rocks where you offroad?

Rocks, no. Trees, yes, but the idea is not to rip them off. I bought hy Hatch to kind of use for a utility vehicle. You know, get to those fishing spots by car instead of a 10 mile hike into the backwoods. We also have some nice beaches on some of the rivers around here that are only accessible by 4WD and boat. Other than that its all mud and fields. Besides the bushwackers are pretty durable and they look badass...

Now that's my kinda mod! :slobber:

Those look stock! Did you put them on just for the looks, or did you cut out your fenders for larger tires?

I put them on for looks at first, but now there not on there beacsue I have huge tires that'll rub with the flares on.