Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cone Washer Stuck

I'm trying to get the hubs off my wagon, and I have everything off except the disc and hub. They are still on the axle. The cone washer is stillin there and I can't seem to get it off. I don't want to pry on it too hard since I don't have too many sitting around. I need this car to be done tomorrow night so any help you can give would be great.

This method has never failed me, or shown signs of damage to any components....

take the castle nut completly off, and remove the flat washer.

Take the castle nut, and begin to thread it onto the CV shaft backwards (with the split portion of the threads 1st). It maybe difficult if you dont get all the threads lined up, but you want to thread it almost all the way on. Leave a small portion of the castle nut to overlap the CV shaft. You want to give the CV a good whack with a hammer. The nut should take the brute force and keep the threads on the CV safe. One solid whack is all it needs to break it loose, the cone washer should pop out of place and your hub and rotor will fall right off.

A good soaking in WD40 or any penetrant should help as well if its fused in place.

Good Luck,

-Brian