Ultimate Subaru Message Board

First time wheeling a Subaru

MoscowSubaruDude

Well... my buddy Justin and I went up on Moscow Mountain tonite, in about 4 inches of snow. Our original intent was to only see how well the hatch handled in the snow, which it does, quite well. We came across a coupla guys in a brand new Dodge cummins, 6+ inch lift, 37-inch tires, the works. They also had a 4wheeler. We wound up putting chains on the rear of the hatch, and having some fun with it, getting into contests to see who could take their rig of choice in the craziest places. In short we spanked them soundly, only getting stuck a few times. Mostly it was coming down a steep embankment straight on, too slow, and getting hung up on the front bumper. After the 4wheeler pulled us back a few feet, I'd get up enough speed and just ramrod through. Another problem I found was that any seriously off-camber sections of trail/snow left the car high-centered with one or more wheels off the ground. At one point, they guy on the wheeler pulled up and said 'It's kinda said when a 4wheeler can pull you out'. Me, being the smartass that I am, retorted somethin like 'It's even sadder when a 4-banger with chains can make it through a mudpit that your big dodge can't. Yeah... it was extremely fun, the guys were really cool overall. The look on their faces when I told em it was 4wd and had a crawl gear was absolutely priceless. Overall, I'm extremely impressed what this little beast can do. As soon as I get it licensed and insured, I'll be up there a lot more. Next on the list of aquisitions... a 2-ton come-along with a tree strap and a good tow strap, so I can do my own recoveries.

[/end meaningless rambling about a whole lotta fun]

EDIT: I'll try and lay hands on a camera next time, and to snag some pics of the roo as it is atm... covered in mud from rump roast to teakettle.

haha cool, subarus are uber great in the snow! its funny to see guys with big lifted trucks look in awe when your little subaru is goin threw the stuff they would have a hard time in :lol: i have a similar story myself

edit!!!: i have a better idea, sounds like you need a lift and some super swampers!

Heh:P easier said than done... I've got a crapton of em on my buddies cell phone, but his dad discontinued the vision thingy that lets him send them via email... so now i'm just stuck drooling over them.

So I'll try and describe my favorite part of the night:

50 footlong mudpit, ranging from 1 foot to almost 3 feet deep, with a large hump/jump in the center of it. Rutted all to hell. Hit it going about 25 mph, and that sticky idaho loam goes flying everywhere, including in your teeth. Great fun. Use your imagination for the rest.

All in all it was an awesome first-time wheeling experience... I'm itchin hardcore to get back out there. This time with chains on all 4, then I will literally have no fear.

So I'll try and describe my favorite part of the night:

50 footlong mudpit, ranging from 1 foot to almost 3 feet deep, with a large hump/jump in the center of it. Rutted all to hell. Hit it going about 25 mph, and that sticky idaho loam goes flying everywhere, including in your teeth. Great fun. Use your imagination for the rest.

:slobber::banana::slobber:

sounds like a ton of fun

did it get this muddy?:drunk:

1099108-25-2005_01_55_34PM-med.JPG

'It's kinda said when a 4wheeler can pull you out'. Me, being the smartass that I am, retorted somethin like 'It's even sadder when a 4-banger with chains can make it through a mudpit that your big dodge can't. .

HAHAHAHA. I got stuck in my suby last spring (sitting on my frame on a late snowbank with no wheels touching the ground), and then we got a brand new dodge hemi stuck trying to pull me out. And THEN, we pulled the dodge out with three ATV's (they all had winches :brow:), and finally pulled me out....

Sorry the picture really doesn't do it justice. Imagine a pretty off camber snow bank, the ditch is full of 1' to 2' boulders, and it's 60 degrees so it's pretty slippery and squishy.

stucksnow.jpg

Meh:P thats almost exactly what my first stuck looked like, except instead of the being in there sideways, we were in nose first. Crazy stuff.

One think I forgot to mention, Justin has himself an 86 BRAT that we're workin on to make roadworthy... he's got the URL and should be registered here in a few days. Once we get his up and running right, there will be some crazy crazy pictures in the gallery. Not to mention a lot more mudpits on the mountain. I shudder with anticipation.