Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1977 BRAT/ER27 comming soon

1maBrat

Well i decided to take the Brat off the road for the winter and do some mods.

The first thing is the er27 with a 5spd D/R ea82 turbo running as a supercharger/belt driven.The rad will be top mount.I will take pics as i go so you all can see this is for real.I want to keep the truck as low as possible but with as much ground clearance as possible,i think 14-16inches will do.This may take a while and i may need some help,so keep your brains in gear for me with any good help.

Thanks in advance for all your tips.

1mabrat

ps. won't be in gargae too long ;)

I know that the ER-27 is roughly 8"s tall at the cam covers, so you'll need atleast that if not more like 10" to fit that engine in a 1st Gen. Had an EA-82 in my '82 BRAT and the engine sat about 3/8" from the frame rails. The 1st Gen's are narrower between the frame rails, so I would think you'll need that 10" at the least. Your plan of 12-14"s will fit in this case. Lift will be custom-built by you to fit vehicle and drivetrain components.

D/R 5speed is a good option behind the engine. You'll need custom length front axles though. cvaxels.com will be able to hook you up, given proper measurements of shaft length.

Top mount radiator would be no problem. Just need to route hoses right so they don't kink when hood is closed. See subarubrat's site for his method on doing that.

Turbo, belt-driven, used as a Supercharger. Lost me on that one. No experience here with Turbo's, period. But can't seem to grasp how one would do such a thing. Turbo's spin at a high RPM, (if I read things right). How do you propose to accomplish that? Curiousity has the best of me there.

My '82 is under the knife right now. Doing the ER-27, D/R 5 speed, Nissan T-case w/front mounted rear diff (4.11's @ each end), rear disc brakes, looking at 12-14" lift, 30-33" tires on 'Yota 6 lug rims. Been accumilating parts and needed steel for the last 1-1/2 to 2 years. Be another 6 months or longer before I get it under power, let alone road worthy. Most of that has to do with the hours I work, but still, it's a major undertaking.

Good luck on doing this