Ultimate Subaru Message Board

new member & valve adjustment?

great site for info! i just joined to see if anybody was concerned about valve adjustment at 105,000 miles? i have a 99 outback with the dohc 2.5l with 113,000 miles. i dont seem to see much about this. it has run great and still is aside from the crank seal i fixed at around 62,000 miles along with the timing belt. dry as a bone since. the book calls for it but i have not done anything about this. would like some thoughts on this. i dont think i'm going to mess with this if it's not critical and it's running good. thanks for any input on this.

great site for info! i just joined to see if anybody was concerned about valve adjustment at 105,000 miles? i have a 99 outback with the dohc 2.5l with 113,000 miles. i dont seem to see much about this. it has run great and still is aside from the crank seal i fixed at around 62,000 miles along with the timing belt. dry as a bone since. the book calls for it but i have not done anything about this. would like some thoughts on this. i dont think i'm going to mess with this if it's not critical and it's running good. thanks for any input on this.

I've seen a few posts where 2.5L engines have had burned exhaust valves; makes me wonder if lack of adjustment was the cause. I've got a 1998 Outback and a '99 Legacy GT---both of them are at the milage where Subaru calls for "inspecting valve adjustment". Because these engines use shims to adjust valve clearance and there's little room between the cylinder heads and the front "frame rails" in the engine compartment, a special **expensive** tool is required to check valve adjustment if the engine is in the car.