Ultimate Subaru Message Board

sound when anything is plugged into cig

I am having this issue with anything that gets plugged into my cig lighter for power, my laptop or ipod when plugged in and playing either on the laptops on speakers or from the ipod to my stereo creates a loud and annoying hum or poping sound. i noticed that with my ipod, when i accelerate on the gas the sound in turn accelerates and makes a sound that i can only describe as a "turbo winding up"...

my thoughts... would i be wrong to assume this is a grounding issue?

any input would be appreciated

-ali

I am having this issue with anything that gets plugged into my cig lighter for power, my laptop or ipod when plugged in and playing either on the laptops on speakers or from the ipod to my stereo creates a loud and annoying hum or poping sound. i noticed that with my ipod, when i accelerate on the gas the sound in turn accelerates and makes a sound that i can only describe as a "turbo winding up"...

my thoughts... would i be wrong to assume this is a grounding issue?

any input would be appreciated

-ali

Ground it is.. Check your wiring on your aftermarket radio. Ground the radio direct to a underdash metal ground.

Of course, it could be noise picked up from the powersupply plugged into the lighter.

A filter can just be a capacitor tied between the power lead and ground or a choke coil in series and a cap to ground. The cause also may be due to a bad diode in the alternator.

To see if you have a bad ground lead causing this you can run a lead directly from the negative battery post and to the component ground that is having trouble. If that doesn't remove the trouble then the noise is coming through the power wire most likely. You may be able to use a 1000 microfarad capacitor @25 volts connected close to the power input of the device and get the noise out. Be sure to observe the polarity if you do this.

i'm getting the same thing(popping) when ever i shut off my aux lights.i get a pop out of the speakers.mainly out of the subwoofers though.i wonder if it's cause both the amp an lights are hooked up to the battery for power source(should of did a fuse tap for the lights)