Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

sound when anything is plugged into cig

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 theflystyle

theflystyle

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Fulton, MD

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:02 PM

I am having this issue with anything that gets plugged into my cig lighter for power, my laptop or ipod when plugged in and playing either on the laptops on speakers or from the ipod to my stereo creates a loud and annoying hum or poping sound. i noticed that with my ipod, when i accelerate on the gas the sound in turn accelerates and makes a sound that i can only describe as a "turbo winding up"...

my thoughts... would i be wrong to assume this is a grounding issue?

any input would be appreciated

-ali

#2 Storydude1

Storydude1

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • NW AZ

Posted 13 November 2005 - 05:27 PM

I am having this issue with anything that gets plugged into my cig lighter for power, my laptop or ipod when plugged in and playing either on the laptops on speakers or from the ipod to my stereo creates a loud and annoying hum or poping sound. i noticed that with my ipod, when i accelerate on the gas the sound in turn accelerates and makes a sound that i can only describe as a "turbo winding up"...

my thoughts... would i be wrong to assume this is a grounding issue?

any input would be appreciated

-ali

Ground it is.. Check your wiring on your aftermarket radio. Ground the radio direct to a underdash metal ground.

Of course, it could be noise picked up from the powersupply plugged into the lighter.

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 13 November 2005 - 07:41 PM

The sound you hear is whine from the alternator. If the grounding is ok you may need to add a filter to stop this.

#4 theflystyle

theflystyle

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 190 posts
  • Fulton, MD

Posted 14 November 2005 - 03:28 PM

good to hear that the cause is what i had presumed.. ill check ground and whats the deal with that filter thing you were talking about??

#5 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 14 November 2005 - 05:42 PM

A filter can just be a capacitor tied between the power lead and ground or a choke coil in series and a cap to ground. The cause also may be due to a bad diode in the alternator.

To see if you have a bad ground lead causing this you can run a lead directly from the negative battery post and to the component ground that is having trouble. If that doesn't remove the trouble then the noise is coming through the power wire most likely. You may be able to use a 1000 microfarad capacitor @25 volts connected close to the power input of the device and get the noise out. Be sure to observe the polarity if you do this.

#6 subie94

subie94

Major Subaru Fan..

• Members
  • 1,583 posts
  • Epsom,N.H.

Posted 14 November 2005 - 08:12 PM

i'm getting the same thing(popping) when ever i shut off my aux lights.i get a pop out of the speakers.mainly out of the subwoofers though.i wonder if it's cause both the amp an lights are hooked up to the battery for power source(should of did a fuse tap for the lights)

#7 Cougar

Cougar

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 15 November 2005 - 12:53 AM

Both of the loads have to be tied to the battery any way you do it. The noise is most likely coming from the light switch. You could try placing about a 100 microfarad capacitor across the switch. Be sure to watch the polarization of the capacitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users