Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Head Kracks.....owch!

O K whats the best way to check a head for cracks that will effect performance, I mean in my driveway, not in town. I have 2 ea71 heads that are have cracks between the valves, I have heard this is common and alot of times they aren't serious enough to scrap the head out. I have placed them on a table on the level with the spark plugs in and filled the combustion area with water, one took 1/2 an hour to leak down, the water came out the exhaust port, I think that exhaust seat is cruddy. The other diddn't leak down. Whats the word guys/gals?:confused:

• 1 month later...

yea i got cracked heads too. 4 to be exact. i also got 2 good spfi heads(no cracks-but wont fit my car). Anyways i talked to my local subaru company and they said if there are cracks then either get rid of heads or repair the cracks. they said ill lose compression and leak coolent. just telling ya cause thats what i heard but im new to the subaru. about 1 month.

email- justsomeone182@hotmail.com

aim- swaiting182

Mr. Nguyen

Sioux Falls, SD

the heads in the starting post did indeed do just fine on that engine, bought new head gaskets and slapped it all together. all is well no coolent loss, no milkshake oil, car runs really well and dosen't overheat, so................ I think I'll just run it till something shakes loose.:burnout:

I've got a 79 wagon that i pieced together, we went from field to freeway in 2 weeks, i'm quite proud of that, but i digress, one of the things i replaced on the motor was the heads and they had cracks between the valves, not serious but not pretty either. We simply took a brass center punch (you know, the beefy brass rod with a shallow pointed end) put the point dead center on the crack and gave it 2 good firm whacks with a ball peen hammer. Don't go postal on it but give it some love. It seals those cracks just fine. Just make sure you don't hit the valves. Ive done this on a couple of other soobs and they all run great. It even fixed a coolant leak on one of them. Good luck.