Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Duty solenoid C & torque bind

Ok, so the original 4EAT in my '93 Legacy LSi wagon crapped out a few months back and I replaced it with a junkyard trans out of a '97 (and swapped rear diffs of course.) Now after driving 4-5 thousand happy miles, this '97 tranny has the dreaded torque bind. I've changed the ATF three times, driven in circles, driven in 2 wheel drive mode...and it still binds up in both AWD and 2wd. Tires might be the original cause, they match but front and rear are slightly different diameters. I can buy new tires but before I do that I'd like to solve the torque bind problem. Pulling the TCU codes gives two flashes followed by four flashes. That means "24" which is Duty Solinoid C. Correct?

Now as for getting rid of the torque bind.

Should I swap out the whole rear of the transaxle?

I still have my old '93 4EAT trans sitting here and it didn't torque bind. Can I swap the rear end of that trans onto the '97 trans in the car? They look identicle on the outside. Will it be compatible? How about the ratios...does it matter? The old tranny was a 3:7 and the newer one is a 4:11.

Or should I just replace duty solinoid C. Can I steal the one from my old dead trans or should I purchase brand new?

And what about the clutch pack? Should I assume it's fried?

Or is it time to try my luck with another used AT? Swapping wasn't all that painful but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

Ok, so the original 4EAT in my '93 Legacy LSi wagon crapped out a few months back and I replaced it with a junkyard trans out of a '97 (and swapped rear diffs of course.) Now after driving 4-5 thousand happy miles, this '97 tranny has the dreaded torque bind. I've changed the ATF three times, driven in circles, driven in 2 wheel drive mode...and it still binds up in both AWD and 2wd. Tires might be the original cause, they match but front and rear are slightly different diameters. I can buy new tires but before I do that I'd like to solve the torque bind problem. Pulling the TCU codes gives two flashes followed by four flashes. That means "24" which is Duty Solinoid C. Correct?

Now as for getting rid of the torque bind.

Should I swap out the whole rear of the transaxle?

I still have my old '93 4EAT trans sitting here and it didn't torque bind. Can I swap the rear end of that trans onto the '97 trans in the car? They look identicle on the outside. Will it be compatible? How about the ratios...does it matter? The old tranny was a 3:7 and the newer one is a 4:11.

Or should I just replace duty solinoid C. Can I steal the one from my old dead trans or should I purchase brand new?

And what about the clutch pack? Should I assume it's fried?

Or is it time to try my luck with another used AT? Swapping wasn't all that painful but I'd rather not if I don't have to.

If you put the FWD fuse in does the torque bind go away? i think since you are actually getting a duty c code, that the solenoid may be dead. i dont know how deep it is buried, but i imagine its accesable to at least test, The FWD fuse is supposed to energize the solenoid. If the solenoid is dead it wont energize and the problem wont go away.

nipper

5 speed time

I've looked into that option but it seems like too much trouble. But I might feel differently if I don't start having better luck with Automatics.

If I put the 2wd fuse in, it still binds although maybe not quite as badly. It's definitely in two wheel drive mode with the fuse in. I actaully couldn't get up a steep slippery hill yesterday due to wheel spin. Zero power to the back end in 2wd mode.

I've searched and read some of the past threads on torque bind. There's some great info there including pictures of the clutch pack and duty solinoid C. Guess I'll have to search again and see what else I can dig up. I'm kind of short on time so I was hoping someone might chime in with what works or help me narrow my options.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to visit Smart Service and see what the Master Tech gurus can tell me. I'm sure they've delt with plenty of torque bind over the years.

If you put the FWD fuse in does the torque bind go away? i think since you are actually getting a duty c code, that the solenoid may be dead. i dont know how deep it is buried, but i imagine its accesable to at least test, The FWD fuse is supposed to energize the solenoid. If the solenoid is dead it wont energize and the problem wont go away.

nipper

I think nipper picked up on it. U said the bind does not go away with the fuse in. Either a wiring problem or the solenoid may be bad as indicated by the error code. If it were physically blocked or gummed-up inside the tranny - seems unlikely it could throw a code. If you can test the other one with 12 volts before swapping - I say go for it.

Hmm, yeah test the other one. That sounds like a plan. Looking at the pictures and diagrams it doesn't look that bad taking off the trans extension housing to get at the solinoid. I'm just wondering if it's that simple. If it'll go back together easily, seals to replace, and that sort of stuff.

Think I'll try to devote more time to reading the past discussions before I attempt the surgery.