Ultimate Subaru Message Board

tires

offroadbryan

I have an 83 GL wagon

I have been doing a lot of reading, and most everyone on here says to stay with a 28" tire or smaller. I will be buying the ozified EA81 4" FRONT / 3" REAR lift. I do not want to have to cut my fenders or pound on my car so I think I will go with the 26" tire.

any ideas on what wheel to get? should convert to a 6 lug? what is the benfit of going over to 6 lugs vs 4 lugs?

thanks again for the help

The reason for not going more then 28" tires is the gearing. Even with my 27" M/T's its a pain to drive, at traffic lights I either have to ride the heck out of my clutch or put it in 4WD LO. 26" will only give you 1.75" more ground clearance then a fully stock subie. Remember the "lift kit" is only a body lift, that means it lifts the body off the suspension, diff, drive shafts, gearbox and engine. Hard choice; to cut, or not to cut, that is the question.

All the 6 lug patten gives you is bigger range of wheels to pick from. One problem is when you go for a normal 15" toyota wheel it sticks out of the fenders a fair bit, so it would be illegal (where I come from anyhow, check your states rules.) If you are only going 26" you could get away with using 14" wheels. You can get somes that fit off of Pug's or other 80's subarus. I think theres a page on this site with a list of all the known stock Subaru wheels that fit the 4 lug patten.

26" tires on an '83 wagon will still require a small amount of trimming and maybe even a little pounding. The wheel wells just aren't as big as EA82 vehicles. 6 lug allows for a larger wheel and offset selection. You may need to verify that Ozified is still producing the 4/3 as I believe they had decided to offer the 3/3 for the EA81's.

The reason for not going more then 28" tires is the gearing. Even with my 27" M/T's its a pain to drive, at traffic lights I either have to ride the heck out of my clutch or put it in 4WD LO. 26" will only give you 1.75" more ground clearance then a fully stock subie. Remember the "lift kit" is only a body lift, that means it lifts the body off the suspension, diff, drive shafts, gearbox and engine. Hard choice; to cut, or not to cut, that is the question.

All the 6 lug patten gives you is bigger range of wheels to pick from. One problem is when you go for a normal 15" toyota wheel it sticks out of the fenders a fair bit, so it would be illegal (where I come from anyhow, check your states rules.) If you are only going 26" you could get away with using 14" wheels. You can get somes that fit off of Pug's or other 80's subarus. I think theres a page on this site with a list of all the known stock Subaru wheels that fit the 4 lug patten.

I think it looks v.good and I like the care and resulting stockish appearance of the fender.

26" tires on an '83 wagon will still require a small amount of trimming and maybe even a little pounding. The wheel wells just aren't as big as EA82 vehicles. 6 lug allows for a larger wheel and offset selection. You may need to verify that Ozified is still producing the 4/3 as I believe they had decided to offer the 3/3 for the EA81's.

I had talked with Ken about shying away from the 4/3 as it requires the BFH for the strut extension clearence a wee bit. However, I have about 20 sets of 4" components still that I will continue to offer in both EA81 and EA82, and more if demand is there.

... thanks for the plug :) r/ PK (I think I need another Brat, hmmm)