Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for input.

Tin Soldier

Hey all, I am looking for some input/answers.

My uncle is a studebaker fanatic and is curently bebuilding one from the frame up. The original engine only puts out like 75hp and he was thinking of using like an ej22 in it. He is concerned that the car might be to heavy (3500lbs) and I just wondered what you all thought about this.

Could it be done and still use the stude tranny? Just using an adapter plate of some sort?

Will the engine have an troubles with a car that heavy?

Any thing else to consider?

I’m a big Studebaker fan myself, what car does he have? If the stocker is only 75hp I’m gonna guess its an early straight 6, if so, the Subaru engine may not be the best fit in the engine bay. A newer/bigger inline engine might be a better choice.

As far as the power/weight issue, I’m sure the Studes got some pretty steep gears and the Ej22 has good bottom end torque, it would probably pull the weight fine.

I’m sure the Stude trans could be used, but along with an adapter you may need a modified/custom flywheel.

In general I like keeping the same make engine for a swap, he might look at the Studebaker 289 V8, it’s a good engine.

Gary