Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 legecy head gasket leaking coolant

Comparing Toyota truck reliability to anything else on the road is apples and oranges. They're simply indestructible. If you want a reliable car a new(er) subaru is not the way to go.

Is that to say the newer subaru are not as reliable as the older models ?

keep checking your oil and watch for metal on the stick,when the chain tensioner wears out the chain rubs the metal holder and creates this metal dust.

Thanks for the tip... I will keep a close watch on the dip stick..

BTW, I just switch from Valvoline regular to Valvoline Max Life.

Hope their ad is not all hype.

I would argue yes. Others here (ahhm Rweddy) would argue that 1500 fro HG replacement is no big deal for an otherwise reliable car...bu that's just it...it's not otherwise reliable. We had an 01 outback and it was the worst experience ever...3 failed fuel injectors on 2 occasions, external HG leaks, gas leaks, recall for the rear sub frame rusting out, clutch judder, an unresponsive dealership, etc etc. We will not be going back to subaru we traded it for a CR-V. Now my 98 is borderline...only $1000 in repairs in 142K and our 92 is bomb-proof...I fully expect it to last longer than my 98. If only the windshield didn't leak when it rains...