Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking into getting myself some nice snow tires for the upcoming winter season. I live in Vancouver Canada, where we don't get much snow except in the mountains and the mountain passes. I want to get a nice affordable tire that will perform overall quite well because I will need it for very many different type of winter conditions.

Any suggestions? I drive a Legacy wagon 2002.

Also should I get the same size as the stock tires or go narrower?

Thanks.

I put Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's on my OBW last winter and have great respect for them. I had used Blizzaks on a VW Jetta and they were terrific, having them on the AWD car is Awesome. The only challenge I saw was the limited tread life in warmer conditions. I picked up a set of WRX wheels and tires so I can run alloys year round, but steels are probably the smartest thing for a winter tire. YMMV

Speed Safely!

David

My present winter tyre is Yokohama F310+

It's fairly quiet, has forgiving handling, and grips well on compacted snow. Main weakness is braking on wet asphalt above 5 degrees centigrade, ABS comes on early, but it's not scary or anything.

This tyre is a compromise, but it sounds like what you're looking for. "Real" snow tyres tend to be noisy and have mediocre grip on wet asphalt.

Winter tyre in stock size - for a 1990 Legacy! - 185/70R14.

What's your stock size? I would suggest going down 10mm on width, and maybe compensating in profile.

WRs and NRWs and Qs are different versions of Nokian snowtires. Qs are full blown studless snows; the others are more of a year-round tire for areas that don't see as much continuous snow. Check their website.

For those of you wanting to know about tire width. If you plan on lots of deep snow, narrower tires are the way to go. They have less of a tendency to "ride up" on the snow and get down to the harder surface below. Check out the really skinny tires used by the World Rally Series cars in the winter events; there's a good reason they don't use fat tires.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are terrific! My 97 OB ran 195/70/15's on steel wheels and there was no white knuckled driving. The grip was amazing, but stopping power was not an improvement over standard tires. On my 02 OB I stayed with the stock tire size on the car, 225/60/16, Blizzaks and steel wheels and it was a mistake. The wider tire size doesn't allow for the same amount of traction at the same speeds. There is a big width difference from a 195 to a 225 and the wider tires tend to ride up on the snow at higher speeds, rather than cut down through it for grip. The two tire sizes are identical at lower speeds for grip, but the narrower tire far outperforms the wider at speed. When I wear out this wider set, I'll replace them with another set of Blizzaks, but of a narrower size. On another note, I presently have a set of touring Khumo tires on my 300ZX and am very impressed with their ride and lack of noise. I have no experience with their winter tires.

There are so many different conditions to contend with during the winter. Dry, ice, slop, deep snow, and packed snow.

I think in general, for slop and deep snow you need a narrow, big lugged tread. Narrow to cut through deep snow (not plowing) to the hard pack, lugs to grip, or lugs to channel out the water in slop conditions.

For ice, you need a soft compound with either studs, or an abrasive, sand paper like surface.

For hardpack, a wider tire is okay because you're not moving snow, you just need grip. Here a wider tire with lots of little grooves, or sipes work well. Although your narrow, lugged tire will do a good job as well.

I guess it all depends on where you want the best performance. I prefer the narrow lugged style like the Hakkapelitta 10's, or the Cooper Wintermaster (no longer made, but similar patterns are available from other companies).

jw

milwaukee

A tire's contact patch area is a function of the weight on the tire and the pressure inside the tire. For example, if there is 900 lbs of weight at that wheel, and 30 psi tire pressure, the contact patch will be 30 square inches. (900 / 30 = 30) The shape of the contact patch varies with the tire size / profile. A narrower tire will have an elongated, more oval contact patch. The area however will be unchanged.

Commuter