Ultimate Subaru Message Board

fuel pump relocation

just wondering how hard it would be to relocate my fuel pump from the firewall to the rear of the car? and where to put it?im droping my tank in the next couple of days to re line it just woundering.also should i put a second fuel filter under the car or will it mess with the fuel pressure? 81 gl wagon 4x2 4x4

Yes, you can relocate it to the rear. You'll have to extend the wiring for it. I would run it along the fuel and brake lines, using zip-ties to hold it secure to the lines. Bit of a pain to do, but use an awl to make a hole thru the rubber grommet at any point that you have to pass thru a panel, like the firewall. Solder all splices in the wiring, and use shrink wrap over the splice. Saves the headache of corroding splice joints. Definetly use an inline filter between tank and pump!! Use the existing set-up under the hood, as far as the filter goes, and use a section of fuel line hose in place of where the pump was. Mount the pump so it is secure, and out of harms way from things like rocks, tree limbs and such....

Aparently they corrected this by 82.

I have a filter on the fire wall and a pump back by the gas tank.

The Pump also has a filter mounted next to it.

Sounds like your on the right track.

For what it's worth,

Glenn,

82 Hatch, transforming--think I'll change my filters while there out.

01 Forester, Filters? what filters?

well tonight im goint to use flush tank kit then in the morning its time to relocate hte pump ,only thing im in az can not find anything asap(tryin to go to denver by the week end)so ill make due ,secondary filter is a go ,car has been parked for 9 yrs just drove it frm ct to az little while ago now the sludge has appered (heat in az probley plus beatin it in the desert) its my 3rd subi 89 dl 2wd best car in vt! 87 hatch back4x4...realy glad found you guys im just travelin at this point .hopefully denver by monday!

lived up in georgetown,co for five years ..makin snow at loveland ski (had and 83 auid 5000.280000++ connecticut car)co has sooo many subis thats kinda why im headin that way ,want to hit maybe continental48 in my baby,bought for 100$ have about 700 into her total!made it this far ,no need to stop now! (mid life crisis at 29!ya hooo)!!!!