Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

n00b w/ 87 xt needs help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 juztin

juztin

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • McDonough

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

hi all! i just bought a 1987 xt DL, non-turbo, and i've got so many questions....

first, how can i tell if it is 4WD? when i took it to the shop to have the muffler changed, he said it was "all wheel drive", but i want to make sure...

also, i've got a small leak somewhere...at first i thought it was coming from the CV boot alone (because it's busted, to be repaired soon), but the same shop that changed my muffler said that it wasn't coming from the CV boot because it was oil, not grease....i've been steadily checking my levels, and it appears that my oil level isn't dropping, but my gear oil level is...however, i've yet to pinpoint the spot the leak is coming from. are there some common spots i could check that this leak would be coming from, or ways to determine if it is in fact gear oil?

thanks in advance!

#2 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:50 PM

If you have an Orange 4WD button on your shifter, you have 4wd, not awd, i don't believe the XT DL's came with AWD, as far as your leak, do you have an auto or a 5 speed?

#3 juztin

juztin

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • McDonough

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:52 PM

ok, there's no buttons on my shifter, so it's not 4WD...

as far as the transmission, it's a five speed.

#4 Jerry DeMoss

Jerry DeMoss

Pushrods 'O' Fury

• Members
  • 2,408 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:55 PM

If there is anyway possible you could jack it up on a lift and pressure wash the under side that would be a good start to tell where it's coming from.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,674 posts
  • WV

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:55 PM

look under the car - if you have rear axles to the wheels then you have 4WD or AWD. if there's nothing, then you fot FWD.

best to clean the underside really good and see where the leak comes from, see what starts getting oily first.

#6 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,674 posts
  • WV

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:56 PM

for XT or Xt6 specific info www.xt6.net is a good resource as well. for your motor and trans and most things you'll get all you could ask for here though, much larger membership base.

#7 NoahDL88

NoahDL88

Elite Master of Cookies

• Members
  • 4,264 posts
  • Everett, WA, USA

Posted 16 November 2005 - 02:57 PM

If there is anyway possible you could jack it up on a lift and pressure wash the under side that would be a good start to tell where it's coming from.

This would be the easiest.

Just a helpful hint, leaks almost always start the farthest forward and the highest up. so a leak on the top of the engine can look like a flood from the transmission.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users