Ultimate Subaru Message Board

n00b w/ 87 xt needs help!

hi all! i just bought a 1987 xt DL, non-turbo, and i've got so many questions....

first, how can i tell if it is 4WD? when i took it to the shop to have the muffler changed, he said it was "all wheel drive", but i want to make sure...

also, i've got a small leak somewhere...at first i thought it was coming from the CV boot alone (because it's busted, to be repaired soon), but the same shop that changed my muffler said that it wasn't coming from the CV boot because it was oil, not grease....i've been steadily checking my levels, and it appears that my oil level isn't dropping, but my gear oil level is...however, i've yet to pinpoint the spot the leak is coming from. are there some common spots i could check that this leak would be coming from, or ways to determine if it is in fact gear oil?

thanks in advance!

If there is anyway possible you could jack it up on a lift and pressure wash the under side that would be a good start to tell where it's coming from.

This would be the easiest.

Just a helpful hint, leaks almost always start the farthest forward and the highest up. so a leak on the top of the engine can look like a flood from the transmission.