Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy GT Head Gaskets...

Just got an estimate for new head gaskets on my 2000... $1200.

Job includes the usual wear item replacements... timing chain, oil pump, all the seals and gaskets that usually give out.

The shop estimated 14 hours... does that seem reasonable to you guys?

Pretty disappointed to have this kind of repair needed with only 60k on the odometer.

i needed em on my 99 GT at $56k....

isnt this covered under warranty?

00 Legacy has a 5 year 60k warranty on the powertrain.

are you right at 60k? or a bit over?

suggestion?

buy Genuine parts at wholesale costs

(i can help if needed)

and pay only the labor...

this should save you a few hundred dollars...

if i can help, get me a list of what's needed

good luck to you

jamie

and see if they would not cover this. My car was 30,000 miles out of warranty and I was not the original owner so I knew there was no hope for me.

On a Chevy I have had them replace the entire engine 5,000 miles after warranty for good will.

This was on one of those small V6 Chevys that everyone knew were an error, so this made it easier.

sorry to hear it blew. 14 hours seems about right for being in a shop, with all the specalized tools and having done it a few times.

you definatly should lean on subaru and put up a fight. mine blew and i wrote a site with some info about doing it. if you are mechanically inclined and have some extra time, it isn't that difficult to do.

even if you have it done, if you are planning on keeping the car long term, you may consider doing some additional work, such as seals, timing belt, and water pump. it will add a little to the cost, but now nearly as much as if you have them done separately later.

you can get to my site here . there is also a guestbook which you can sign and it has other people who's head gaskets have failed. you can include this when dealing with subaru (who you'll find will be surprised to hear of the problem). subaru - 1-800-subaru-3

Originally posted by theotherskip

sorry to hear it blew. 14 hours seems about right for being in a shop, with all the specalized tools and having done it a few times.

you definatly should lean on subaru and put up a fight. mine blew and i wrote a site with some info about doing it. if you are mechanically inclined and have some extra time, it isn't that difficult to do.

even if you have it done, if you are planning on keeping the car long term, you may consider doing some additional work, such as seals, timing belt, and water pump. it will add a little to the cost, but now nearly as much as if you have them done separately later.

you can get to my site here . there is also a guestbook which you can sign and it has other people who's head gaskets have failed. you can include this when dealing with subaru (who you'll find will be surprised to hear of the problem). subaru - 1-800-subaru-3

thanks... I've done head gaskets before, on one of my first cars... a Lebaron GTS Turbo (a 4 cylinder Mitsu engine IIRC) and on my Z28 when I put on a set of ported heads and an aftermarket cam (vroom vroom :)). What steams me is that my blasted 96 Z28... a car that I've extensively modified and beat the daylights out of... has been more reliable than either of my subaru's (96 Outback and 00 GT Limited) IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK THAT WAY!

So... I've got the mechanical skill, but I'm not real excited about working on the Legacy unless it was to drop a WRX powerplant into it, and right now we're in the process of trying to sell our house and move to a new place... $1200 hurts... but 5-10 g's would send my wife into the stratosphere.

Sounds like the $1200 estimate is fair... it includes the timing chain (edit... BELT... blasted imports

:)), oil pump, and all the gaskets and seals that start leaking around now anyway.

Originally posted by Dave K

thanks... I've done head gaskets before, on one of my first cars... a Lebaron GTS Turbo (a 4 cylinder Mitsu engine IIRC) and on my Z28 when I put on a set of ported heads and an aftermarket cam (vroom vroom :)). What steams me is that my blasted 96 Z28... a car that I've extensively modified and beat the daylights out of... has been more reliable than either of my subaru's (96 Outback and 00 GT Limited) IT'S NOT SUPPOSED TO WORK THAT WAY!

So... I've got the mechanical skill, but I'm not real excited about working on the Legacy unless it was to drop a WRX powerplant into it, and right now we're in the process of trying to sell our house and move to a new place... $1200 hurts... but 5-10 g's would send my wife into the stratosphere.

Sounds like the $1200 estimate is fair... it includes the timing chain (edit... BELT... blasted imports

:)), oil pump, and all the gaskets and seals that start leaking around now anyway.

I had mine done by the dealer in Redwood City and with a clutch it was around $3500 if I recall. If you are going in I reccomend doing the water pump and tensioner.

when these things blow a water pump, belt or tensioner they tend to take things out you don't want out.

yeah... subaru is real good at playing dumb when it comes to issues with the cars, but what do you expect. at least in this day and age, with the internet, we can organize and know that it is not an isolated problem...

as for the $1200 estimate, that sounds like a screaming deal, if it includes both head gaskets, timing belt, seals, water pump, etc... it is a lot of work, and parts alone run around $400...

you should really lean on subaru, though. with only 4k over the warranty, this is definatly in the negotiable area of the warranty. be sure to use lots of things like "this may just be my last subaru..." and "i never had problems like this with my ..."

Thanks for all the tips guys... I've asked about exactly what's in the repair and they're going to do everything except they weren't planning on changing the tensioner.

I also asked about warranty coverage... we'll see how that goes. :)

Gee, this sounds so familiar. I just went through this exact same thing this week on my 2000 Outback. External leak on the driver's side head, estimated cost to replace both head gaskets...$1200.....I am at 67K miles....second owner, so Subaru says screw you.

I tried the "I am really disappointed in this car, since I bought it becuase Subaru's are supposed to be so reliable, guess I won't be buying another one." They didn't budge.

Anyone on here familiar with class action lawsuits? Too many of these cars are having head gasket problems too early in their life to be considered a problem that the owner should have to deal with on their own.

UPDATE - I guess I spoke to soon, I just talked to the dealer and they were like, "we have some good news, Subaru agreed to pay for the headgasket repair." :headbang:

When I last spoke to Subaru, they acted like it wasn't any chance that they would pay for it. I guess my banter worked, and my faith in Subaru has been restored.

dave - the tensioner should be fine to reuse, especially with only 67k on it. as long as they inspect it and it looks in good condition. they should also check all the idlers for smooth operation. i found one that was dry, so i replaced it, but they should be able to use most if not all of them again.

for me it is gone. this is because after doing this much major work I would not want to leave anything there that could ruin the job.

If I really had faith in the folks who inspected the tensioner I might be comfortable leaving it.

As an ex mechanic I am often more paranoid becuse of things I did not change 20 years ago that came back to haunt me.

If nine times out of ten it will be no problem I will get number ten every time.