Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Tachometer needs to warm up??

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SakoTGrimes

SakoTGrimes

Aint got no Subaru!

• Members
  • 943 posts
  • Grants Pass

Posted 17 November 2005 - 04:44 AM

Last night at 12:15 I started up the 83 GL and the tach was very slow to respond... it read way too low at first, then went to what I think was right, but wouldn't move for about 2 seconds after the RPM changed. Tonight it stayed at about 300 for 4 minutes or so and was reading normal by the time I'd scraped all the ice off my windows. It works fine when the car is fully warm and driving. ?????

#2 MoscowSubaruDude

MoscowSubaruDude

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 131 posts
  • Spokanistan, WA

Posted 17 November 2005 - 06:59 AM

I had a 92 Geo Storm with that exact problem... only it'd move when I turned the car on, and then stick at the highest location that I had revved it to, usually about 1500. Best guess I can do is something to do with the bushings/bearings in the tach itself. If there's any grease in there, as there should be, it might get gummy when it's cold, and gel up.

#3 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,606 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:30 AM

actually no grease in there, as it is jewled like a watch. i suspect the coil that makes the needle w swing is starting to go bad (and can sty like this till the wheels fall off the car). Once the coil heats up everything is fine. ONe of those learn to live with it or fix it things.

nipper

#4 oddcomp

oddcomp

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,763 posts
  • longview ,wa

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:48 AM

bad ground? between battery/body/dash? once everything warms up and expands it complete's the circuit?

#5 NV Zeno

NV Zeno

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,037 posts
  • Ponderosa Ranch, Nevada

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:11 AM

My '83 does that, and has been doing that for years. In the wintertime, the tach rarely moves from zero until warmed up (sometimes longer), and in the summertime the tach works right from startup, but sticks at about 4000 sometimes. Hasn't affected performance, not really worth the effort to fix.

#6 stephenw22

stephenw22

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • SK, Canada

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:18 AM

Most of my gauges stop responding at -40. Actually, they don't stop, but they respond extremely slowly. The tach acts fine, though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users