Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Bringing back a car that sat for 2 years?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:16 PM

So this is the big weekend... the engine is going into my project RX. The car has been sitting for 2 years, but the engine and all attached parts have been removed, and the engine and all accessories going into it have only been sitting for 6 weeks and are proven to be good.

So, I have an engineless chassis that has been sitting. What should I check? Anything else to replace/watch out for? None of the brakes are frozen up, and the gas tank needs to be drained. That's all we can say for sure.

Tips?

#2 hatchsub

hatchsub

Currently Subaru-less :(

• Members
  • 2,619 posts
  • Guilford

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:24 PM

Fuel filters. Always a good idea to change them up after a time like that.

#3 Ever Victorious

Ever Victorious

Hazard to himself

• Members
  • 877 posts
  • Everett

Posted 17 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

So this is the big weekend... the engine is going into my project RX. The car has been sitting for 2 years, but the engine and all attached parts have been removed, and the engine and all accessories going into it have only been sitting for 6 weeks and are proven to be good.

So, I have an engineless chassis that has been sitting. What should I check? Anything else to replace/watch out for? None of the brakes are frozen up, and the gas tank needs to be drained. That's all we can say for sure.

Tips?

I recently brought back a car from the dead (6 years), and the only things not directly attached to the engine I had to do were drain the gas tank, and replace the battery.

most of what I did was fluids/filters/adjustments on the engine itself.

And it runs great. :)

#4 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 17 November 2005 - 09:45 PM

I'd look over the tires carefully, too. Pay attention to how they roll when you get started.

#5 TROGDOR!

TROGDOR!

Pastor of Muppets

• Members
  • 2,106 posts
  • Morgantown, WV

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:00 PM

Oh, forgot to mention that too. The tires are shot, and I have a set with under 10k miles on them that are known to be good that are going on it. Probably will inspect the inner fender area of each wheel while I have the wheel off as well.

#6 Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:30 PM

The one little trick you should do is to remove all of your fuses and spray the panel with WD40 or electromotive spray. You will never know the miseries you are avoiding. I recently forgot and spent a day and a half trying to track downa headlight that intermittently went dim, yet all the wires checked out OK. After replacing the entire circuit, it ended up being a corroded tip on the fuse.

#7 Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

Subaru Jim Maple Ridge

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 175 posts
  • Maple Ridge, BC, Canada

Posted 17 November 2005 - 10:33 PM

Check all of your fuses and maybe spray your panel.

#8 gbrand

gbrand

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 379 posts
  • fort worth area

Posted 17 November 2005 - 11:04 PM

Might not hurt to flush out brake system too.

And lube all door hinges/latches, etc. And silicone sppray any rubber mouldings

#9 stumpy

stumpy

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 310 posts
  • Bridal Veil

Posted 18 November 2005 - 12:07 AM

I had good lucky with a K5 Blazer that sat for 9 years in one of my sheds. Only had 18K on a built motor and trans. The first time I opened the hood it was one big nest!(Rats or squirels?) After I cleaned that all out I taped up some electrical lines and spark plug wires that were chewed to the core, replaced some vaccum lines, change oil and filter, disconected fuel line (Hooked up line to funnel with fresh gas) and the biggie disconnected the heater power as I had it catch fire once before when a mouse built a nest in there next to a coil that heats up and glows red. It was a daily driver when that happened! Mice love duct work to live in. It was so packed I got 2or3 one gallon vaccum loads out of that system and still it dribbles regularly for my friend who I sold it to to buy my first subie. Residuals or did some of the mice go with the sale?:rolleyes:

Any way it never hurts to see if some unwanted vermin have made a home in there while it has been setting for so long. For what its worth! Stumpy

#10 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 18 November 2005 - 01:02 AM

I have faith, I brought back a car that basically sat for 25 years, she purred like a kitten until the fuel pump puked :-P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users