Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Price

I'm looking to buy a 1980 Brat thats in emaculant condition:banana: But the guy wants $2500 for it:dead:

It does have new paint, practically no rust(just a little surface rust), an extra tranny and 1400 engine, jump seats, cd player with speakers, excellent interior and some other stuff. The blue book is $800, but he's the type of guy who doesn't care if it sells, cause he can put it away and bring it out later and get the big bucks for it. There are some problems with the brakes - the car pulls to the right when braking hard and some other minor work needs to be done. It is the best Brat I've ever seen though. I need some advice on what to offer him, that he might go for. here's the ebay listing for it: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=6467&item=2433190475. Thanks

post-947-136027585174_thumb.jpg

Looks like it's worth what he's asking. They are getting rare. Jerry got the insurance company to fork over $5,000 for his totaled Brat:

http://usmb.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=598&highlight=brat+insurance

And stuart c got like $3,500 for his on the east coast.

I think $2,500 is fair and reasonable for the condition of that Brat. The topper alone is worth $300 to $500 probably, and that brush gaurd is worth another $100 easy. Extra tranny and engine add another $300 to $500 depending on condition. If I had the money, i would probably fork it over right now. I've been wanting a Gen 1 for a project. Ah well - maybe someday.

BTW - should be a 1600 engine - EA71 - 1.6L

GD

I saw that one when it first listed. It looks beautiful! (I haven't seen it in person though) but I would pay 2500. My advice to you is offer him 1800 in cash, put it in his face, then if he says no, tell him you can probably come up with 2-300 more but that's all the wife will allow. It MOST LIKELY won't sell on ebay, that's why I said to put cash in his face....

There will be no problem selling that thing on ebay. I would be suprised if it went for less than $3,000. I havent seen the ebay ad yet, but the looks of that brat sais "SELLER" all over it.

Sorry pal, but if that thing is already on ebay, looks like your fighting with a whole school of fishes now.

-Brian

Well if you really want it make sure you wire the guy some cash to hold it... I took a loan out a month ago for ***'s Brat and was short 200 bucks... He knew I took a loan out and that I wanted it and still sold it to someone else right from underneath me, even when we were in still communication by email and I was a week later short by 100 bucks.. He didnt care that now I have a loan to pay back with interest and nothing to show for it... SO trust no ones word and give a deposit in case he is a jerk. I guess some guys word are not worth ****.

**moderator edit**

if you're going to badmouth certain usmb members, refrain from using their name. That could be considered "flaming" and we don't want to cause trouble. If your still bitter about it, take it to PM or eMail.

**moderator edit**

if you're going to badmouth certain usmb members, refrain from using their name. That could be considered "flaming" and we don't want to cause trouble. If your still bitter about it, take it to PM or eMail

I don't want to start trouble, But if a board member is involved in crappy business practices, I for one, want to be aware of it so I can be sure to avoid that person.

This is not a reflection on the above stated deal. I can't have an informed opinion on it as I don't have a lot of facts, But censoring, in my opinion will only cause more general suspicion of everyone.

Well still, say for instance i had a problem with you Caleb. The last thing I would want you to do is going around the board telling people "Brian screwed me over". I'd want you to work it out with me off-board, unless I was so irrational it had to come to this.

Of course, the rest of the board has a right to know. And if the USMB member Cole mentioned was selling this car, I wouldn't have edited it. But there was no point in advising everyone in this thread about what happend in the past with Cole and a previous board member. Cole does have a valid point tho. If your going to negotiate with somebody over the internet, its safe to put down a deposit to secure your purchase, or else he could just sell it from under you and you'd be stuck with a loan.

-Brian

P.S.

I didn't censor anything, just edited the name used.

Price is relative. I bought a nice rust free '78 Brat from Ken for 500.00. Granted, it needed quite a bit of work to get it into the condition it is now, new paint, sunroof, bumpers, rubber, interior, rear seats, carpet and a host of other things, but it is strong and doesn't have any rust issues. It also has a new old stock ignition switch. It is going to go bye bye soon. I have my '80 for sale right now, with Weber for 1500.00. Had a lot of lookers, but haven't sold it yet. It will when it gets a little colder. The '78 will be about a 2 grand ride and no one will find a nicer one. I saw the one on ebay, and it looked framiliar with that bumper. It may belong to one of the western Washington guy's. If you want to know who Cole had a problem with, email him and ask him. If you want to know which former board member got me for some change, email me and I will tell you who it is. It is the guy I bought my '82 Brat from. Supposed to be perfect and wouldnt make the trip from San Diego to where I live without replacing both cv axles and removing one of the rears. Not to mention it was missing a motor mount bolt and the 5 speed looked like it was installed by a 5th grader. Heater motor didn't work and the radiator was shot, struts shot, rear shocks shot, silver spray paint all over the engine and hoses, vacume lines broken, timming wrong, I could go on, and this was a guy who put his word on it that it was perfect. Nothing is, but in this life, your word is all there is. 99.9% of the guys here are straight up about there stuff, even under rate it. Subaru3 is a perfect example of what I am talking about. His stuff is always better than he says, same with Ken, Mark and several others I could name. I will post them both in the market forum before they go away, Bradd

Had to throw my two cents in. In the real world of buying used cars is a fundamental rule. Buyer beware. Nobody is twisting your arm to buy a car.

No offense but you should have taken your loan out for the whole amount. You snooze you lose. (second rule for buying used cars).

respectfully yours.dave.

I would agree with you Dave, if you can run across town and look it over first. If you have to fly 3 states away, at some point in time, you have to take someone's word for the condition and ask a lot of questions. Then, when they totally misrepresent what they have and it takes a few hundred miles to figure it out, I think that you may find, that being lied to, especially by a fellow board member, at the time, old board, it really stinks. If I had given you my word that a car was yours until you got the cash together, it would have been there when you showed up. Otherwise, I would have told you the first one with the money is the owner. The point isn't about used car buying lessons, which no one needs, but about whether your word is worth anything or not. In this case and it sounds like in Cole's case, the word was not kept. Snooze you lose? Not when I tell you it's yours, maybe you do things differently, but a majority of folks around here don't.

Thats right bradd. Its all about the value of your word. I have had great dealings with board members. Buying selling and trading. All because the word of both parties involved were solid things which one could count on. I have noticed that the person ( Out of respect for the mods, I won't say his name) that cole98 was referring to has only been back to the board once since he completed his deal.. and that was just to inform everyone the deal had been completed. The unfortunate lesson being, be careful of short timers and fly by night members. Watch the other dealings of people you're considering transactions with. Someone like Qman or XSNRG.. they are the ones that do a lot of business on the board, so their dealings have to be on the up and up