Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 dr 5speed into 92 leg wag

johnnyk

hey there

just purchaced what im hoping will be the donor for my d/r trannie transplant into 92 leg wag

donor was 85 turbo wag

I see theyre are adapter plates available from several vendors

Unless I have totally misread things,, this seams to be a fairly simple conversion.

A lift kit would be good to do at this time also but I still havent come up a solid plan .

yes the AA lift would provide the lift to go big meat tires but I am thinking a little lower mayby a 3 inch or so would be adequate.

After all this will still be a daily driver car

not to split threads or toot my horn too loud but the parts car I bought is just that and there is a 90 turbo wag in the marketplace section that I am trying to sell for the guy I bought my 85 turbo wag from

and by the way if this works out I will have whats left of the 85 up for grabs if anyone wants partz after I take the tranny and rear.

Ok to finally get to my question's

and sorry for writing such a manefesto before asking

Any advice tips or tricks on my 85 d/r into 92 leg wag project?

will welcome any information besides go screw yourself johnny

that I can get.

Thank you

that would be plenty of lift for me

I think im up in the night about the d/r tranny

Its just the push button 4wd type

still getting the car just for kicks

I hate to burst your bubble, but the D/R's only came on non-turbo cars....RX's have a similar dual-range, but not as much reduction in lo...

The push button is just single range....it's in FWD, push the button, it's in 4WD....OR, it might be full-time 4WD with center diff lock...either way, it's not a dual range

if you do find one, you'll need to be creative about axles/driveshafts, I've heard FWD axles fit on the D/R stubs, but I'm not sure, and I haven't a clue at how the driveshaft would fit, and yes, you'll need an adapter plate, and some creative work on the linkage, it's not as simple as you think

the dual range out of a normally aspirated car has the 1.59 ratio low range, the turbo cars got the 1.19 ratio(i think that is the ratio) you definately want the one from the N/A cars. there has to be a thread around here somewhere that tells you what axles combo to make it all mate up together.

~Josh~

Word is FWD Impreza axles do the trick.

the dual range out of a normally aspirated car has the 1.59 ratio low range, the turbo cars got the 1.19 ratio(i think that is the ratio) you definately want the one from the N/A cars. there has to be a thread around here somewhere that tells you what axles combo to make it all mate up together.

~Josh~