Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

FE fact or bullshyte?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 the sucker king

the sucker king

great fisherman

• Members
  • 1,938 posts
  • Lyons, Colorado

Posted 20 November 2005 - 04:57 AM

i was told that fe's had a different cam and possibly different heads than the standard ea71s. is it true? they got better mileage and were sopposed to be zippier then regular ea71s so something was different. there is one in a jy in denver, i want to pull the engine if it is truely special. anyone? bueller......bueller.......

it's got some good interior stuff if anyone needs....

#2 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:17 AM

i was told that fe's had a different cam and possibly different heads than the standard ea71s. is it true? they got better mileage and were sopposed to be zippier then regular ea71s so something was different. there is one in a jy in denver, i want to pull the engine if it is truely special. anyone? bueller......bueller.......

it's got some good interior stuff if anyone needs....

Get the engine!!!Higher compression pistons.They were indeed a blast to drive.

Heads are there own animal,similar to the rest of the line from the outside.
Camshaft is different too.

Get the engine,please.
If the ignition switch has a key and works you might want to get that too.Same for external voltage regulator for those wanting to stay stock.

What color interior?

#3 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:20 AM

GRAB IT and post pics

i put an FE motor in my 75, and it seemed alot zippier than original, also used the 5 sp tranny out of the fe.could churp the tires in 2nd:lol: good luck,
Jon

#4 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,903 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:45 PM

I had one in my '78 Brat and lemme tell you, holy crap! I could roast the rear tires in 2nd gear and it would kick it sideways if I dropped it from 3rd to 2nd. I also had a Holley 5200 on it and an electronic disty as well. Coupled with some aftermarket exhaust it was a fast little car!

#5 elcaminokurt

elcaminokurt

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 291 posts
  • Owatonna, MN

Posted 20 November 2005 - 09:03 PM

Just a quick question from a newbie: Is Fe just an engine designation like Ea or Ej? Or was it a package on the car itself? Thanks, Kurt

#6 Hondasucks

Hondasucks

Subaru Technician

• Members
  • 4,760 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:43 PM

It's the car designation, it's an FE instead of a GL/DL etc...

#7 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:59 PM

"Fuel Efficient" - FE

#8 adam

adam

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • portland, me

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:06 PM

i just pulled a nice FE engine out of a '79 coupe and would let it go for a song if someone is interested. I pulled it because i am doing an electric conversion but the the engine ran great; i drove it back to maine from vermont. More than a chirp in second, more like a genuine peel-out, but i suppose that has to do with how much you are willing to abuse your clutch. it also has the weber carb which i believe is a 32-36. this engine is complete except for the flywheel because i need that to mate up with the electric motor. also have complete original exhaust, fuel tank, radiator- anything associated with internal combustion. i think the motor has 124k on it.

#9 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:28 PM

i`ll take it if you are interested in letting it go cheap.pm sent

#10 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 21 November 2005 - 04:29 PM

actually, my pm box is full, could you please email me at ruppenduro@yahoo.com

let me know what you want for it, thinking about putting it in the 78 brat.:D

thanks
jon

#11 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 21 November 2005 - 05:38 PM

i just pulled a nice FE engine out of a '79 coupe and would let it go for a song if someone is interested. I pulled it because i am doing an electric conversion but the the engine ran great; i drove it back to maine from vermont. More than a chirp in second, more like a genuine peel-out, but i suppose that has to do with how much you are willing to abuse your clutch. it also has the weber carb which i believe is a 32-36. this engine is complete except for the flywheel because i need that to mate up with the electric motor. also have complete original exhaust, fuel tank, radiator- anything associated with internal combustion. i think the motor has 124k on it.

Hey,didn't we talk about this?I'm interested.I've got plenty of songs to offer.

#12 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 21 November 2005 - 06:09 PM

i`ve got cash to offer:brow:

#13 operose

operose

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,264 posts
  • Potsdam

Posted 21 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

AND THEY'RE OFF!! moosens in the coupe, 75subie in the brat... and the results!?! you'll find out next time here on USMB CHANNEL 49

#14 75subie

75subie

I`m sold on Subaru

• Members
  • 3,908 posts
  • Walden

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:09 PM

:lol: :rolleyes: :drunk: :confused:

#15 adam

adam

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • portland, me

Posted 22 November 2005 - 05:16 PM

hi moosens- yeah we talked about it before but I didn't here back from you so I wasn't sure if you were interested- I didn't want to be a pest. you have first dibs and then i'll offer it to 75 sube and then i'll post a general listing in the classifieds. I'll email you both with details. sure would love to clear up some space, put some batteries in my lectrick sube, and help another gen 1 a few miles down the road.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users