Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

The Official Camber Plate Thread

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 08:07 PM

Yes, you too can install camber/caster plates into your A10/A11 chassis Leone/Loyale/DL/GL/GL-10/RX/XT/XT6!

These particular plates are either ex-JIC of Tein coilover plates....application is either GCx, GMx, GHx Imprezas, or any Gen 2 Legacy.

Modifications nessisary:

You will need to wide'n each bolt hole for the plate/strut top approx 2MM each. Once that is done, any EJ plate/strut top will fit perfectly, even your previous plate/strut top.

After that...you will need to fit the plate to make sure you widened the holes correctly/enough.

Once that is done...affix the plate to your strut properly. Different plates require different hardware.

For example...my previous plates were the old MRT plates with poly bushing. They were a DIRECT bolt on type intended for use with stock style springs on any Legacy/Impreza...so it was a direct swap, nothing special.

These plates require extra hardware that normally come with them when purchased, but they didnt...so, a spacer, shanked lug nut, some wideneding of the coilover spring top, and it was perfect.

Done!

Pics ofcourse....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

New configuration:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 20 November 2005 - 10:04 PM

im guessing those make the car ride really hard... :-\

#3 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,889 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:27 PM

*starts making a list of more mods he needs to do to the RX*

Actually, this is on my list of stuff To-Do already but I'm glad you covered it since I was gonna ask you anyways:D

#4 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 20 November 2005 - 11:47 PM

im guessing those make the car ride really hard... :-\

So? Its the spring/dampening rates that makes the ride hard. These make it more PRECISE.

#5 eggroller

eggroller

another car dude...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Bellevue

Posted 21 November 2005 - 01:01 AM

So? Its the spring/dampening rates that makes the ride hard. These make it more PRECISE.

well put! Exactly correct in my opinion. I have camber plates on my GTI. It made the front so much tighter throught the turns. Looks like a nice pillow ball spherical bearing on top! Are there spherical bearings on the spring top hat, too?

Wow... you added a lot more negative caster than negative camber with the adjustments you have now.

Sidebar: Do you have a radiator for that air/water intercooler?

#6 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:37 AM

well put! Exactly correct in my opinion. I have camber plates on my GTI. It made the front so much tighter throught the turns. Looks like a nice pillow ball spherical bearing on top! Are there spherical bearings on the spring top hat, too?

Wow... you added a lot more negative caster than negative camber with the adjustments you have now.

Sidebar: Do you have a radiator for that air/water intercooler?

The bearing is only on the plate where it is needed.

Thats POSITIVE caster...not negative. Negative would be pushing the strut forward. Negative caster is bad.

Of course I do. It measures ~20" wide, ~14" tall and 1/2" thick.

#7 Guest_shadow_*

Guest_shadow_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 November 2005 - 08:52 AM

GCx, GMx, GHx Imprezas, or any Gen 2 Legacy.

Maybe we should clarify what these actually are for the old gen guys (like myself) that don't know all of the codes. It will probably be good to include here so it saves searching both here, at NASIOC, legacycentral.org, etc.

I believe the body codes are different for both body style (sedan, wagon, etc) and year ranges (90-94, 95-98, etc). That information for each of those codes will probably help a lot. ;)

Other than that this is great, there are always lots of q's on camber plates and a lot of the information was spread all over the place in your other posts.

#8 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 21 November 2005 - 10:27 AM

Yeah....

Fits ANY impreza from 1992 to 2001, and any legacy from 1995 to 1999.

These plates can also be used on any 1989~1994, 2000+ Legacy, and any Impreza 2002+...including all Foresters and Bajas.

#9 eggroller

eggroller

another car dude...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Bellevue

Posted 21 November 2005 - 11:41 AM

Thats POSITIVE caster...not negative. Negative would be pushing the strut forward. Negative caster is bad.

Whoops! I get those backwards sometimes! Nice setup for the the turbo!

#10 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:24 AM

im just sayin its one less piece to soak up bumps, jumps, and what have you... ie: rally

#11 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 02:27 PM

only the spring/shock need to absorb bumps-jump-rocks-curbs.... ;)

#12 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 25 November 2005 - 04:19 PM

If I were building a rally car, Id rather have a bit more vibration then have the rubber strut tops rip out on a jump. Besides, if its a race car who gives a s##% about vibration. REAL race cars run heim joints all the way around :brow:

#13 nkx

nkx

Rallycross Junkie

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • Carlisle, PA

Posted 25 November 2005 - 07:46 PM

thats a good point, basher. what i want to do is reinforce the tops of the strut towers so they can take more abuse so i can go jump the buggy :brow:

#14 benebob

benebob

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Lancaster, PA

Posted 25 November 2005 - 08:57 PM

So can I put these suckers on with standard springs? Haven't gotten this far yet with our SVX. Not even sure if Leg/Impreza mounts can be made to work easily but its about time to start adding camber so we use all our tires before they cord.

#15 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 09:00 PM

SVX tops are way different IIRC...I think that if you redrilled the strut towers (legal in ST and SP IIRC) then you can fit the Legacy-Impreza plates like they are on an Leg or Imp....OR...you can redrill the plates for the stock location mounting holes....

#16 benebob

benebob

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 736 posts
  • Lancaster, PA

Posted 25 November 2005 - 10:18 PM

SVX tops are way different IIRC...I think that if you redrilled the strut towers (legal in ST and SP IIRC) then you can fit the Legacy-Impreza plates like they are on an Leg or Imp....OR...you can redrill the plates for the stock location mounting holes....

Yeah, I was fairly sure we'd have to redrill. We're not a streeter. Straight E Prepared

#17 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:41 AM

snap....you could do full double A arms then....IIRC within the rules...

#18 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 11:18 AM

As an update...pics to come...

I swaped the plates side to side so i get a little +caster with ALOT of -camber...and slotted the plate more....

:drunk: :banana:

#19 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:01 PM

Pics posted at the bottom of the original post...

#20 4WDFrenzy

4WDFrenzy

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 857 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

Looks like a die grinder came in kinda handy there. If you don't mind me asking Will, how did you get the plates turned from the angle in the original configuration, to the new configuration?

Patrick

#21 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:13 PM

swapped from side to side and then rotated them.

#22 eggroller

eggroller

another car dude...

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Bellevue

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:31 PM

This positive camber is killing me around the corners on my stock 88 GL Wagon. Since I plan to lift it, has anyone done camber plates on their lifted EA82? I am sure that the camber plate will be at the bottom of the spacers for the struts. Hmmm.....

Best price I have found for camber plates/pillow ball mounts is $150 new. :clap:The are the Tein brand from http://www.andysautosport.com/product/suspension/pillow_ball_mounts

#23 thecarman

thecarman

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Apex, NC

Posted 26 March 2008 - 05:52 AM

Sorry for bringing back such an old post!

Can you run camber plates like this with the stock strut/spring? Or do you have to go with coilovers (or a different strut) with a smaller diameter spring?

Was mainly wondering if there is enough room in the strut tower with the stock diameter spring to move the strut for as much negative camber as WJM achieved?

Thanks!

#24 Reveeen

Reveeen

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 788 posts
  • Eastern Canada

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:26 AM

Would you not accomplish the very same thing with a piece of plate and a simple flange bearing?

Well, ok, maybe accomplish not emptying your wallet.

Oh:

if there is enough room in the strut tower with the stock diameter spring to move the strut

In my strut tower, with the stock strut/spring, there is about a finger width around back (3/4"), so if more is desired I would assume that at least a spring of smaller diameter would be required. There is more room fore and aft, but to offset a major negative camber condition you will have to shrink the springs.

#25 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:12 AM

i was using them on stock struts w/coilover conversion kits from ebay.

with the stock upper string perch, you will have a little less room at the extreme ends of the plates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users