Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stolen Car alert, Bothell, WA area--Recovered

I was driving on my way to work on Wednesday morning. Since the interstate traveling south is normally a disaster of parked and stop-and-go traffic, I've found a series of parallel roads southbound to get to work. As I was approaching one of them, my cellphone rang and it was my wife telling me that the Police had a report that my car was found. It's at 167xx Brickyard Road; as she said that I was turning south onto Brickyard Road! About a mile up the road there was the Impreza sitting in someone's driveway. Even without the phonecall I would have seen the car; funny how I've been looking into every sidestreet, driveway and parking lot thinking I'll run across the car even though the chances of that are pretty unlikely. Anyway, I pulled over and parked my car to get out and look. I met the folks who had called the Police since they couldn't get out to work and we chatted a while until an officer arrived. It seems that the thief had hit a curb hard enough to bend the right front wheel and suspension leaving the car undriveable for any distance. He just pulled into the driveway and abandoned the car and everything in it. The officer started looking for fingerprints and removing things that I identified as not belonging to us.....a teen's pocketbook, sunglasses, a small dog collar chain, bolt cutters (!), and more weird stuff. After he collected enough evidence, I got in and moved the car out of the driveway to the street and waited for the tow truck. The CD player I had installed was gone, some of my wife's personnel stuff (gymbag and contents) was gone, 10 of 12 bottles of beer were gone (we had bought a case for Thanksgiving and had not brought it into the house on Sunday night). Damage to the car was relatively light considering; scuff marks on the front bumper, hood and fender....bashed in area under the right-side doors....and bent up exhaust pipe. The car seemed to run okay and aside from the torn up console where the radio had been, I didn't see any other obvious damage. The ignition lock was not punched out and no windows were broken; they must have had some type of key for the car. I had the car towed to the auto body place I use in Bothell and left it there, called my wife and our insurance company. All of this occurred within 8 miles of our home. I'll be at the body shop on Friday and empty out the other little "presents" that the thief and his friends left behind. Judging from what was left and recovered by the police, I would think they might be able to find the culprit. I was surprised at how much apparent effort went into collecting evidence. We were fortunate since I think the car is repairable and insurance will cover almost all the cost; the only downside is the inconvenience and how vulnerable we feel now. I'll be looking into some kind of alarm system for our two primary cars and moving some of the junk in our garage into storage so I can park one or two of my Brats in the garage. I'm glad the thief couldn't drive worth a **** and forced him to abandon the car before he could do some real damage that would have made our "keeper" junk....also, we didn't have to wait the three weeks before the insurance company declared the car gone and we could have then started looking for another around Christmas time.

• 2 weeks later...

Ed,

I know how you felt. My '84 camry went missing a few weeks ago. I filed a report, and so far, it hasn't turned up. It's a bummer for sure.

That Sucks,... We had another Car stolen from a board member in Seattle, Not a subie though.. I won't say names,, but If someone comes near my car I'm kickin there A!!

xoomer- I'm on that for sure. I'm still on the lookout for 'em.

Oh, and just in case anyone sees its a two-tone red and beige '84 camry plate #767-bvg.

thanks!

Wow Ed, I tuned in late to this drama. Glad this wasn't another high speed persuit event and you got it back mostly intact.

So given the zero tolerance thing at the boarder, any idea if the crooks contaminated your car and did the police have their doggies sniff it as part of their evidence gathering? I'm just thinking how any left over traces of whatever could seriously ruin any trips you might take to Canada.

The car didn't look too bad but the auto body repair/repaint is going to be around $2500. As to any remnants/residue, I will have the interior detailed. I might take it to the local police and have their drug doggie take a whiff before I try to go to Canada with it. Thanks for the suggestion. I should have the car back by the middle of the week.

Wow Ed, I tuned in late to this drama. Glad this wasn't another high speed persuit event and you got it back mostly intact.

So given the zero tolerance thing at the boarder, any idea if the crooks contaminated your car and did the police have their doggies sniff it as part of their evidence gathering? I'm just thinking how any left over traces of whatever could seriously ruin any trips you might take to Canada.

Ed that totally sucks... Someone tried to steal my old pickle wagon once. But it had no carb so they wouldn't have gotten far! LOL IDIOTS!!! I installed a 24hour survailance camera outside my house so if it happens again it will be recorded onto the computer. Glad you got it back sucks it wasn't the same as when it left. :-\

Actually, it'll come back nicer than it left. I saw it today at the alignment shop and the paint job is just fine. The front end work is done and it just needs tires for the alloy wheels that I pulled out of my "stash". Monday it goes back to the body shop for an interior detailing. We should have it back by Wednesday or Thursday. Thank goodness for 0 deductible comprehensive coverage.