Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Heater core bad? EA81

pull the hoses and flush out the heater core with either your garden hose or an air compressor or both. might need to get some cleaning agent in there and actually clean it out....but you wouldn't want anything harsh for your heater core. i'd see how just a basic flush does, i'd bet alot of gunk comes out.

someone on xt6.net just had this same problem and fixed it by blowing the heater core as i just mentioned. someone else actually bought a small pump and created a little system to keep a solution of water and cleaning agent running through the heater core. pretty hard core just to flush it out, but if it's bad enough maybe that's necessary? you can go to www.xt6.net and read the current thread about it.

Thanks for the replies!

Will a flush work if there is hard build up in core?

I was thinking of getting a new core and doing the simple replacement by cutting a hole in the side of heater box as written by someone on the forum. But I wanted to try everything else before it came to that.

I never thought of checking the cable that keeps the cold air out. That just might be it. If not then I'll reverse flush and if that does not work then replace the core.