Ultimate Subaru Message Board

WA-nnabe needs help (pics of the "RainbowRoo" incl)

I posted this a long time ago, and Scoobywagon offered to help me out and walk me through this whole thing. :) Unfortunately, he became grossly innundated and hasnt had any free time for months! So I figured it wouldnt hurt to repost, and re-request help finding and changing an engine. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to workin' on cars (I make video games for a living. If it doesnt come with a keyboard, I dont know how to work it.), so I need all the help I can get.

So, my story...

Short Version: I was given a (slightly customized) '84 GL Wagon, and its in need of a new engine, but I'm no mechanic. At all. I'm lookin' for an EA81 to buy, and someone to give me a hand (hah, who am I kidding... I'm lookin' to give someone else a hand) putting the new engine in.

*snip* okay, the thread with the long version was archived. Oops! Pictures are below, though. *snip*

I'd like to save this things from the junkyard, if I can. :) I'm in Redmond, WA. Anyone wanna help? :D

Where is South Prarie?

I've only ever done simple little things like changing oil, brakes, and things like that. Never an engine swap. I'm still learning all I can about Subarus and this car of mine.

I looked at that CCR page. Now I learn that EA81 comes in two varieties: Carbureted and Turbocharged. How much more powerful is the Turbo, and how much modification would my car require to use it?

Anyway, thanks for getting back to me. :)

South Prairie is about 10 miles east of Puyallup..

You will want the carbed version unless you have a turbo parts car handy.. I have seen what they look like under the hood and it ain't pretty.. and not particularly worth it for the small amount of power gained. for a fair upgrade that would put you even with an EA81 turbo putting a better cam in and maybe a weber carb would be money better spent and easier though it would probably void your warranty.. something to think on, after the warranty is up have at it.. but splitting the case and doing internals is an area I would like to learn more about but for now is beyond me.

Kinda figured that'd be the case. I guess I should worry about getting it working before I worry about sup-ing it up, huh.

So I've never gone to the PAPs around here (in fact, the last time I went, I was too young to drive), and even if I did, I'd be hard pressed to find the engine I need in the condition I want. :) And, so far, I'm even more hard pressed to find someone willing to do all this hand-holding-walkthrough stuff for the likes of me. I dont have much to offer in the way of help, or pay. :-/ Its something I really want to do, but will alone wont get it done, ya know?

(I make video games for a living. If it doesnt come with a keyboard, I dont know how to work it.)

Hmmm.....not to be o/t but seeing that you make video games for a living.how about making a driving simulation game with all subarus.from old generation to todays models?

:brow: that'd be SO!!! cool

Oh no! looks like the link got deleted. Lemme find the pics...

Subaru_1.jpgSubaru_2.jpgSubaru_3.jpg

Well, maybe its not the "RainbowRoo." Its been called "RB" in reference to the initials of the Rainbow Bright character.

An all subaru driving sim would be pretty tight, but I'm already working on two non-paying games right now. Plus I'd need to find an artist to do all the modeling, and a team to write the specialized graphics and physics engines... its a lot more work than one might think. :) It'd still be a hell of an idea to propose to a game dev team though.

that bumper is cool on RB.i take it,it's custom built.don't know about the rims though.

An all subaru driving sim would be pretty tight' date=' ... :) It'd still be a hell of an idea to propose to a game dev team though.[/quote']

we could call it "the ultimate subaru test drive"

its a lot more work than one might think. .
true,i've seen some of how it's done(g4 tv) yrs worth of work

I could lend a hand.

ANY help would be appreciated. I know there's a few PAPs around here, but from what I've been reading, Ed and a few others clean out the good engines on a weekly basis. ;) Plus, if I were to go there, I honestly dont think I could do a good enough job of finding an engine, and making sure its in the condition I need it to be in. I just dont trust myself to that extent. :-/ I need help!

Again, I can help you.

Timing is going to be key if you get the engine before the 15th of dec.

If not I wont be around till next year......

Send edrach a private message he may just be the man your looking for in regards to pulling an engine.

:grin:

Dusty, you're still in the area? From your msg it sounded like you were only up here for a short while, and I missed my window.

I'll give ed a PM and see if he's got time. Everyone's a little busy this time of year, ya know?