Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98' EJ25 to 94' EJ20H JDM engine swap

to start I am dealing w/ a domestic 98 Legacy GT( 2.5 L ) M/T

OK,... My 2.5 is finally about done. It has been slowly increasing its oil leak rate to the point of non-driveability. (aprox 1/2 quart of oil per 1 hours drive). This is enough to smoke, stink and get the ENTIRE underside of the car wet (hey at least it wont rust this winter!)

I have been looking around and searching the forums and have a few questions still. I am pretty good at working on things and figuring them out. ( I do it for a living although not on cars) In my experience it is usually always easier and faster to do entire swaps than to fix major internal problems. (My motor is leaking BADLY from the front, under timing belt covers. Also my clutch has been squeaking under neutral position). Due to these issues I have been seriously considering swapping the motor/tranny as a complete unit. I found a JDM Subaru Legacy BG5 EJ20H Twin Turbo M/T & Engine Set which seems like it would be a good candidate. (not to mention more powerful and fun to have in the car.) It comes with all intake piping, intercooler, wiring harness, fuel pump ,fuse sets and crossmembers/mount plates. I read somewhere in the forums that the Twin turbo JDM motor wont work in a left hand drive car....???? Is this because of the power steering pump and steering rack setup?

HAS ANYONE DONE A SWAP LIKE THIS?>

I need to move on this. I love the GT's but HATE the motor so I am reluctant to fix the 2.5 powerplant

anyones input who knows anything about any of these 2 powerplants or vehicles is greatly appreciated!

If this particular motor isnt the best then let me know what is!

98' legacy GT M/T

02' WRX M/T