Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

How big is the gas tank?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:43 AM

How many gallons does my tank have? 85 Suby GL 4x4. Where can I find this info? Thanks.

#2 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

My 86 wagon is roughly 16 gallons. You can find the info in a haynes or chiltons under capacities.

#3 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:47 AM

Of course, you could always let it run out and then see how much it takes....:lol:

#4 Sweet82

Sweet82

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,266 posts
  • Salt Lake City

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:50 AM

My 82 Hatch was only 11.5 gal?

I think the "Brochure" section will tell you what the capacitys are?

#5 Camelwagon

Camelwagon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 222 posts
  • Spokane

Posted 22 November 2005 - 10:57 AM

I think its either 13.9 or 15.9. On the msn autos website it says the 88 has 15.9 gallons....

#6 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 22 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

It's 15.9 according to specs, but I always worry that the true capacity is actually less. My fuel indicator comes on after 11-12 gallons in my Loyale, which would be early in my opinion. But I've never ran it down all the way (in any of my Subes) to be certain.

If anyone knows for certain please share. Especially any info on calibrating that stupid fuel warning light.

John

#7 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 22 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

Mine's an 86, and I often put in 13 or 14 gallons, and I've put in 15 before. The light is designed to make sure you can get to a gas station after it comes on. I don't think there's a way to adjust it.

#8 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 22 November 2005 - 03:16 PM

At least 15.5... verified on several occasions. :rolleyes:

#9 BlueTrain

BlueTrain

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • MisSOULa

Posted 22 November 2005 - 04:09 PM

It's 15.9 according to specs, but I always worry that the true capacity is actually less. My fuel indicator comes on after 11-12 gallons in my Loyale, which would be early in my opinion. But I've never ran it down all the way (in any of my Subes) to be certain.

If anyone knows for certain please share. Especially any info on calibrating that stupid fuel warning light.

John

ha, i thought i was the only one with this... if i wait till the light comes on and drive, oh say a couple miles to fill it up, it only takes like 12 gallons or so..

#10 Tsullappliance

Tsullappliance

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Woodbridge

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:04 PM

How many gallons does my tank have? 85 Suby GL 4x4. Where can I find this info? Thanks.

Mine (87 GL WGN 4X4) holds 46.3. Maybe that explains the puddle every time I leave the gas station.;)

#11 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 22 November 2005 - 07:06 PM

You can drive a long way after the light comes on.

#12 ballitch

ballitch

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 999 posts
  • Salem, OR

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:11 PM

ive run my 86' out of gas twice, both times going downhill and able to coast into gas station, when i filled up it was 15.96 gallons, probably a little bit left but oh well.

~Josh~

#13 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:39 PM

ha, i thought i was the only one with this... if i wait till the light comes on and drive, oh say a couple miles to fill it up, it only takes like 12 gallons or so..

Kind of annoying. You expect precision in these cars, and a 60-80 mile cushion is way too loose IMO.

If it were my call, I'd have the light come on at "one gallon" of fuel. Then you'd know whether you have 15, 20 or 25 miles to deal with. Wouldn't be a problem unless you were way out in the "stix"....

John

#14 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 22 November 2005 - 08:50 PM

i know for a fact that they are roughly 15.9 gallon tanks. im pretty sure that the gas indicator light comes on when you have 2.5 gallons left? which i think is early, but i guess you will know when your pretty darn close to running out..

#15 jeffast

jeffast

f*** im 24

• Members
  • 2,029 posts
  • midwestren

Posted 22 November 2005 - 09:46 PM

Mine (87 GL WGN 4X4) holds 46.3. Maybe that explains the puddle every time I leave the gas station.;)

sweet
also i agree that they come on way too early when the one on my six comes on it will only take twelve gallons

#16 soobmater

soobmater

Got Mud?

• Members
  • 1,668 posts
  • South Bend

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:16 PM

holy crap, how can you afford that?? that would be over 115 bucks were i live :lol:

#17 TahoeFerrari

TahoeFerrari

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Tahoe City

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

With both my EA82s (3-door and wagon) the light comes on when there are 2+ gallons left. At one time or another I've put over 15 gallons in both of them and I often drive 400-450 miles without filling up. According to the original owner's manuals I have for both of them, the fuel tanks are 15.9.

My '82 hatchback tanks are only about 12 gal.

#18 Buddy

Buddy

"Respect a man's car, a man respects you"

• Members
  • 526 posts
  • Stockton

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:50 AM

check your manual. owner's that is.i just checked mine. it definyely is 15.9 with out me lying to you. like i said its in the manual. check it out if you have it ;)

#19 spasmonaut

spasmonaut

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 08:20 AM

I think it's fairly characteristic of Sub's in general, as my '01 Forester has a 15.9 gal tank. The warning light is set, per the manual, to come on with 2.3 gal to go. Just tested it today and it was pretty darn close, took 13.5 gals at the pump to fill it.

#20 mudduck

mudduck

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 703 posts
  • Asheboro NC

Posted 31 December 2005 - 12:09 PM

I always was wondering about the light, because when mine was working it would come on and it seened like I could go anouther 100 miles. I have never been able to get morew than 12.5 gallons in my tank

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users