Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'91 legacy heater fan works on high only

I've noticed over the past couple of days that my climate system fan works only when it's set on the number 4 or high position. The first 3 settings, now, do nothing. I assume, from what I've gleaned off the web, that this has something to do with a bad resistor of some type. Where is this resistor located in a '91 Legacy, and any idea of the price? Thanks.

its kinda behind the glove box,you will have to remove the glovebox,you will see a connecter,pull off and there is screws that hold it in.it looks like a cage wiyh windings in it.maybe the plug is loose? never had to replace so dont know about price.im sure somebody will know.

You should be able to get to the resistor box from under the dash next to the blower motor. You are most likely going to have to go a scrap yard and pul it out of a car. If you can find them, get a few of them. People have tried soldering in resistors with mixed results. I dont know what subaru gtes for one, it may be just worth it to bite the bulit and get a new one, as this is a common failure with age.

nipper