Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Valve cover rocker gasket(LH/RH)......

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bella

bella

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Bucharest

Posted 23 November 2005 - 03:51 AM

I whant to replace it myself and I whant to now how hard it is?....I will lose oil in replacement process.....something need to be adjusted or I just unscrew nuts amd replace gasket.:confused:

Thanks.

#2 soobscript

soobscript

needs more time

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • Columbus, OH

Posted 23 November 2005 - 04:58 AM

Very easy to do. Unhook any PCV hoses, remove the 10mm bolts, pull off valve cover. No adjustments needed. The torque spec is very low for the bolts beacause of the rubber washers.

I don't know about oil loss, but I would like to know and will soon find out. Do the job with the engine cold to minimize oil loss.

--Ed

#3 bella

bella

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Bucharest

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:44 AM

Very easy to do. Unhook any PCV hoses, remove the 10mm bolts, pull off valve cover. No adjustments needed. The torque spec is very low for the bolts beacause of the rubber washers.

I don't know about oil loss, but I would like to know and will soon find out. Do the job with the engine cold to minimize oil loss.

--Ed

Thank you verry much.:drunk:

#4 Bill90Loyale

Bill90Loyale

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:29 AM

On my loyale, there were four bolts on the passenger side cover and five on the driver side. Access to the fifth one (underneath) was very limited so you just have to be patient with removal and installation of that bolt.

Torque is a non-issue as the bolts and rubber washer things are designed to be screwed in until you hit all stop. I used no sealants. Clean up the covers and all mating surfaces until near perfect. Been four years. No leaks.

#5 bella

bella

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Bucharest

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:32 AM

On my loyale, there were four bolts on the passenger side cover and five on the driver side. Access to the fifth one (underneath) was very limited so you just have to be patient with removal and installation of that bolt.

Torque is a non-issue as the bolts and rubber washer things are designed to be screwed in until you hit all stop. I used no sealants. Clean up the covers and all mating surfaces until near perfect. Been four years. No leaks.

Thanks man you too:banana:

#6 Subarian

Subarian

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  • Orem

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:58 AM

Oil loss probably won't be much more than what you're already leaking. The cam towers and valve covers are designed to allow oil to drain back into the pan.

#7 bella

bella

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Bucharest

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:28 AM

Another request please.

Here in Romania is very possible to buy from store a wrong spare because.....I don't now:banghead::-\.So can anyone post a scheme or a picture on how is looks like this gaskets????

I'll appreciate allot.

Thanks guys.

#8 soobscript

soobscript

needs more time

• Members
  • 705 posts
  • Columbus, OH

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:46 AM

They are rubber, a few mm thick, same shape as valve cover outline. The side toward the front of the engine has an arch (or hill, or half circle).

If you have the front of the car jacked up to do the job, any oil that comes out will be from the bottom rear corner. Just place a towel or rag there as you remove the cover.

#9 bella

bella

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Bucharest

Posted 28 November 2005 - 01:51 AM

They are rubber, a few mm thick, same shape as valve cover outline. The side toward the front of the engine has an arch (or hill, or half circle).

If you have the front of the car jacked up to do the job, any oil that comes out will be from the bottom rear corner. Just place a towel or rag there as you remove the cover.

Thanks and hope you will solve the shaking problem.

#10 somick

somick

92 Loyale

• Members
  • 292 posts
  • alaska

Posted 02 December 2005 - 09:38 PM

Another request please.

Here in Romania is very possible to buy from store a wrong spare because.....I don't now:banghead::-\.So can anyone post a scheme or a picture on how is looks like this gaskets????

Thanks guys.

Hi Bella,
I've just found your post.
Check out this site: www.rockauto.com
Pick the right vehicle type.
When you get to the gaskets (keyword "Valve cover") there should be a button "More info" or something like this. Click on it and in the separate window you'll see the image of the gaskets.
A week ago I bought a set for $11.00 + shipping.
As far as I know they ship overseas too. I don't know if they accept Romanian currency.:)

Good luck!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users