Ultimate Subaru Message Board

TD04, how do you mount it in an ea82?

ausubaru92

I believe that the compressor outlet on the td04 points into the engine compared to the vf7 (is that what the stock turbo is called?) which points up.

How do you, those who have a td04, mount it?

Can you rotate the compresor housing to make the outlet point up?

Ive done a search and found how to move the stud on the up-pipe so it will bolt up

And what mods have to be done to the oil lines and water?

Cheers guys

Gannon

well I know a couple other people will pipe in here I hope but I've done the swap, but currently not running, yet. Yes like you said, the rear stud on the stock EA82T header needs to be moved back about 3/8". I used a Megan Racing downpipe for a WRX on mine as well but I need to make a custom hanger for under the car (hits my driveshaft). As for the compressor housing being turned, I don't think its possible since the wastegate actuator is connected to the housing itself. The stock oil line coming into the top of the turbo is the same so it bolts right into the TD04 but you'll have to get some hose that is petrolium product resistant for the oil return coming out of the bottom of the turbo but thats just some rubber hose basically. Also, you'll need some small radiator hose for the inlet and outlet of the antifreeze into the turbo as well. Other then that, I'd recommend running an intercooler as well with it since it is able to create more boost and flow better then the stock VF7. If you go to http://community.webshots.com/user/caboobaroo and go to my RX folder, you'll see pics of the install and whatnot that I have done so far.

It can be done as long as there are bolts or a spring clip holding the compressor housing in place. It looks as though it has bolts from one of the pics that Caboobaroo has posted. This should allow you to clock the compressor to the 90* spot and then bolt the wastegate to the matching holes. If it has a spring clip, then, well I'm afraid you are royally screwed, unless you can weld on a flange for an external wastegate.

Patrick

on mine, I have the outlet facing the engine but I'm also making some custom plumbing with the help of a Samco y-pipe. I'm also running a WRX TMIC as well so it was kinda a must but its all in what you wanna do. I had to cut the y-pipe so it makes a 90* right off of the turbo, add in an extra length of aluminum tubing and then it connects into the rest of the y-pipe and into the IC. Sounds a lot harder then it really is.

Thanks guys, every little bit of info is helpful

I plan on using a water-air intercooler possiably off the liberty (legacy) but there are others around.

Im just collecting info for when i start this project possiably early next year

cheers guys

Gannon

I posted all the info I had after doing my install. I will look for that thread later.

the rear bolt was the easyest thing to deal with in my opinion.

the outlet cannot be reclocked up without fabricating a new wastegate mounting/linkage. It did not look like the best option to me so I left it in the stock position. I then used an elbow from a turbo mazda 626(ford probe) to connect to the stock wrx intercooler plumbing. my intercooler is mounted at a strange angle and does not look like the wrx set up but it alows good flow thru it and mild angles on most of the plumbing.

the turbo intake ponts directly at the stock intake manifold. I used a silicone elbow from http://www.turbohoses.com (along with a few other needed parts form there)

the coolant lines needed to be cut and slightly bent. then I used 1/2" silicone hose to connect it.

the oil lines are real close to stock and were rather simple to bolt up.

I needed to modify my throttle cable to make it fit.

I hear alot of the problems i faced can be avoided if a spider intake is used.

here is a pic of the installed tdo4 with intercooler.

632seattle_TD04_016_Medium_-med.jpg

there are more pics in my gallery of some detailed parts.

A few things that I have changed since this pic was taken and are of importance. first the removal of all PVC piping and instalation of mandrel bent and welded piping for the intake also bypass valve to intake hose fitting is all steel now.

I have read that the chemicals that hot PVC piping gives off are bad for aluminum engine internals.

there are also flaps to help guide air from my scoop into the intercooler now.

and yes it runs better than the stock turbo espically if you raise the boost levels.