Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy hatchback rear door latch - rusted

small issue i noticed - my dashboard showed the "door open" signal so i went around and checked all the doors and noticed the rear hatch handle was 'sticking" so i sprayed it with wd40 and worked it back and forth a few times but it was still "sticking" so i manually moved it to the nuetral position for closing the door, the "door open" light on the dashboard went out. Fine - but today i noticed the metal plate around the handle is all rusted - is this normal? i would figure since the handle is protected by the overhang of the door this area would not see much in the way of water/moisture. all other areas of the door show no rust or rot. small issue but any comments? -easy to change other areas to watch?

thanks,

david

I replaced one on a 91 Legacy wagon. The part was about $15 from 1stSubaru parts.com. though I got a used one from a local board member. Pretty simple repair. Pop off the botom of the inside panel (I might have taken it off entirely), disconnect arm attached to handle. Remove two rusted bolts barely holding the handle and replace new handle and follow above in reverse order.

For several years that licence plate light/tailgate handle mounting bar was a problem for Subaru. I remember reading a thread where someone explained that it was the result of poor primer and paint, as well as the exhaust gases that are swept up around the tailgate when driving. I removed the one on my 97 OBW, blasted and repainted it. It wsn't a big job, just time consuming and fiddlely.

You can thank the highway department for putting road salt down in the winter. I was looking at a 96 outback today and noticed that plate was comepletly rusted out I thought it was odd. Then when the carfax report showed the car lived it's first six years in Boston I knew why.

Since in the northwest here road salt isn't used we usually don't have rust problems like this.

Fixed one for a friend of mine. It was completly rusted off. $14.?? at the local Subaru dearler in Gresham for a new one. I have 4 Legacy's my self and only one of them work properly. The other three you have to manually return the handle to the neutral positon if you want it to close properly.

• 4 years later...
You can thank the highway department for putting road salt down in the winter. I was looking at a 96 outback today and noticed that plate was comepletly rusted out I thought it was odd. Then when the carfax report showed the car lived it's first six years in Boston I knew why.

Since in the northwest here road salt isn't used we usually don't have rust problems like this.

+1 I have encountered 4 out of every 5 leg wagons in the junkyards that the handle is completely rusted off, so all you see is the little release cable end.......lots of broken out rear glass from people trying to get into the back to get the tailights off the cars.........

This is a problem i would say doesnt affect west coasters too often

I noticed that on my 95 Outback yesterday. The whole area above the license plate is just about rusted through. Pretty random rusting place.

Not random. The aerodynamics on the rear of the captures all the road salt and it sits there.

This should be stickied or something, this is something that each and everyone should be inspecting frequently, and inspecting fairly periodically. If this part rust and is no longer functional, one could become stranded if ever getting a flat tire, it would render getting to your spare impossible if the handle breaks due to rustage.