Ultimate Subaru Message Board

problems with alt!!!

ok, so i have EA 82 MPFI and my alt died,..........

so i took alt from 84 sedan, and got it runnin' but the charge light is still on,..........

and then i got alt for EA82 and i've put it in and my fueseble link went on fire:madder: when it was running on that alt the ligts went off( the charge, stop lamp etc.) SOOOOOOOO what can i do to make it running??????:cornfuzz:

What was the condition of the EA 82 alternator that fried the fuseable link? Was it a newly rebuilt one? If so, you should take it back and exchange it. If it was another used one then I would purchase a rebuilt alternator and put that in. You need to check all the fuses and fuseable links and make sure they are ok.

Is there any possibility that you shorted the alternators' output terminal too ground when you installed it? If you are sure that was ok, then the alternator may have an internal short in it. You could use an ohmmeter and check the output terminal to ground and see if that is shorted.

The small field wire to the alternator should have 12 volts on it when the key is turned to the on position and motor not running. Since you are getting a charge light it means the field line to the alternator should be ok.