Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96-98 Impreza Cruise Control System

So there's this OBS in the junkyard that has a cruise control system, that i would like to remove, and install in my vehicle. I was wondering what need to remove for it to be fully functional, i know it's not just the switch :rolleyes:

So i need to know what i need... what it looks like, and where it is :brow:

Thanks!

Andyjo,

From what you ask it is obvious that you are in over your head on this one. If you've worked on cars for years, have installed or repaired numerous cruise control systems, then you will be able to scavenge all you need from another wreck and install it successfully, because you will know how they work and where the parts are located. For instance, besides the on/off/set switch, you'll need the under hood cruise control module and cables to the throttle body, any relays and switches, switches on the braking system and clutch (if separate), speed sensors either at the tranny or prop shaft, and if on the prop shaft, the matching magnet, not to mention the appropriate wiring harness which will not be separate, but will be part of the main harness through the firewall. Its quite daunting for the inexperienced. Your best bet is to take avk's advice and buy an aftermarket system and try installing that. Good luck whatever way you decide to go.

• 2 months later...

Easy guys, This is not hard to do, I just did it to my '97 Impreza with about $30 worth of parts from the parts yard and about two hours of working time. Asking what parts are needed is a completly legit question. No, you should not need a separate speed sensor or magnets or wiring or relays or things like that. If car companies wired all of their cars differently for all different dealer options, it would cost them a fortune! The connectors are all there. They are normally just taped up to their harness. The plug for the main cruise switch is even held in a dummy connector on the back of the place keeper in the far right hole on the dash. Just pop it out and there's your wire!

Here is a list of what I needed for my 1997 Impreza L wagon, 2.2, with a manual tranny. The parts are from a 1993 Impreza 1.8 FWD Auto sedan.

-Main cruise switch (right side of dash)

-Cruise set/resume switch (On steering wheel) (you may need a tamper resistant torx bit for the airbag, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! and wait 30min. The ground connector was different on mine so I just cut it off and grounded it to where the horn switch ground was.)

-Cruise computer (up under the driver's foot well on the left) (My harness was taped up near the radio console)

-Cruise actuator (get the cable, actuator, vac hose w/manifold nipple, and ALL related support brackets)

-Pedal switches (this is where mine was weird. You are supposed to have a four wire switch for the brake pedal and a 2 wire switch for the clutch. My parts car was an auto and I didn't take it's switches. I took another two wire brake switch like the one in my car and installed it on my clutch bracket and adapted the connectors to fit. Then, I made a jumper on the four wire brake plug hanging from my dash going between the two wires that were not the same color as the two wires going to my brake switch. Somehow, this way my cruise still cancels if I tap the clutch or the brake, even though there is no dedicated switch on the brake for the cruise.) All of these connectors branched out from one bundled bunch)

notes:

-My actuator cable was a tad short, so I maxed out its adjustment and had to bend the bracket at the throttle slightly and readjust the throttle cable.

-GRAB ALL OF THE NUTS AND BOLTS REMOVED FROM THE DONER CAR!

-GET THE LITTLE WHITE BUTTON CLIPPED INTO THE CLUTCH PEDAL! (I've heard this breaks/wears out commonly, mine was gone) You can tape a couple of pennies on there if all else fails.

-The steering wheel switch may not look like the holes will line up. They will!

Good luck! I hope this helps! To the naysayers, most things are only impossible if you don't try. This was a fun and extremely rewarding project for me. This is much higher qulaity than some P.O.S. DIY kit from JC Whittney!

Peace

-Chris

Awesome Chris, Glad to see someone else has a sense of adventure around here! I haven't bought a OE kit, i'm too cheap, but i'll have to head back to the junkyard & pull those parts.

Woohoo! :brow:

Easy guys, This is not hard to do, I just did it to my '97 Impreza with about $30 worth of parts from the parts yard and about two hours of working time. Asking what parts are needed is a completly legit question. No, you should not need a separate speed sensor or magnets or wiring or relays or things like that. If car companies wired all of their cars differently for all different dealer options, it would cost them a fortune! The connectors are all there. They are normally just taped up to their harness. The plug for the main cruise switch is even held in a dummy connector on the back of the place keeper in the far right hole on the dash. Just pop it out and there's your wire!

Here is a list of what I needed for my 1997 Impreza L wagon, 2.2, with a manual tranny. The parts are from a 1993 Impreza 1.8 FWD Auto sedan.

-Main cruise switch (right side of dash)

-Cruise set/resume switch (On steering wheel) (you may need a tamper resistant torx bit for the airbag, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! and wait 30min. The ground connector was different on mine so I just cut it off and grounded it to where the horn switch ground was.)

-Cruise computer (up under the driver's foot well on the left) (My harness was taped up near the radio console)

-Cruise actuator (get the cable, actuator, vac hose w/manifold nipple, and ALL related support brackets)

-Pedal switches (this is where mine was weird. You are supposed to have a four wire switch for the brake pedal and a 2 wire switch for the clutch. My parts car was an auto and I didn't take it's switches. I took another two wire brake switch like the one in my car and installed it on my clutch bracket and adapted the connectors to fit. Then, I made a jumper on the four wire brake plug hanging from my dash going between the two wires that were not the same color as the two wires going to my brake switch. Somehow, this way my cruise still cancels if I tap the clutch or the brake, even though there is no dedicated switch on the brake for the cruise.) All of these connectors branched out from one bundled bunch)

notes:

-My actuator cable was a tad short, so I maxed out its adjustment and had to bend the bracket at the throttle slightly and readjust the throttle cable.

-GRAB ALL OF THE NUTS AND BOLTS REMOVED FROM THE DONER CAR!

-GET THE LITTLE WHITE BUTTON CLIPPED INTO THE CLUTCH PEDAL! (I've heard this breaks/wears out commonly, mine was gone) You can tape a couple of pennies on there if all else fails.

-The steering wheel switch may not look like the holes will line up. They will!

Good luck! I hope this helps! To the naysayers, most things are only impossible if you don't try. This was a fun and extremely rewarding project for me. This is much higher qulaity than some P.O.S. DIY kit from JC Whittney!

Peace

-Chris

I just did it on my 95 back in Nov. It is super easy to do Andyjo. If you can figure out the AWD switch this is a total piece of cake.

I know a way around the 4 wire and 2 wire brake switch that makes it so you won't need the switch and you won't have to fiddle with taking the old one out etc....and it only requires a jumper. :brow: Hint: look at the colors of the wires in the 2 wire sw. and look at the colors of the wires in the 4 wire plug...the colors they don't have in common make a jumper between and poof!!!!!! it works (make sure in a controlled environment just to be safe!

If you find you have a heck of a problem getting the vac hose out of the engine manifold (or the square thingy on your engine) there is a way around this too. Cut it off at the engine and hook the vac line into the brake booster line for vac. Do it the right way if you can but if it is stripped like mine was go with "plan B"

Your biggest prob. is going to be getting the sw out of the steering wheel. Go buy or borrow the security torx drivers for doing that. When you put the sw in your wheel you will replace the wire harness that is in there (basically you end up with a little extra harness) Save all screws from disassembly..you might and most likely will need them. (for the sw in the wheel there are no screws in there to use so you need them)

Any probs. let me know....(or Chris for that matter)

matt (BTW...I did it for $20)

I went the junkyard route because I couldn't find the OE kit anywhere. That, and I'm too cheap also.-Chris

These kits should still be around. I believe Folger Subaru in NC is one dealer who has them, there was a link posted at one time.

actually... most of the Impreza cruise control kits are obsolete

sold out and discontinued.

I ran most of the part numbers this morning

here is what's still available:

To view pricing, or to order, etc.:

1) you will need to use our OEM catalog to access

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

2) look up by part numbers below - -

1997 2.2 AT tranny cruise kit: H7010FA223

1999 2.2 OR 2.5 AT tranny cruise kit: H7010FA225

That is it... the rest are all gone :( (as far as the older impreza's go)

Jamie Thomas

Jamie at chaplins.com

logo.gif

http://www.subiegal.com