Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ticking noise on 3rd gear

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jeansain

jeansain

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario

Posted 26 November 2005 - 07:17 PM

Recently, I've been hearing a soft ticking noise from the engine compartment when I accelerate in 3rd gear (manual 96 Impreza). It gets louder the more I accelerate. Doesn't do it on any other gear.

Any ideas?

Thx.

#2 tunered

tunered

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • vincent,ohio

Posted 26 November 2005 - 10:12 PM

Recently, I've been hearing a soft ticking noise from the engine compartment when I accelerate in 3rd gear (manual 96 Impreza). It gets louder the more I accelerate. Doesn't do it on any other gear.

Any ideas?

Thx.

this sounds like a exhaust leak at maybe at the man. flange.

#3 jeansain

jeansain

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:00 PM

this sounds like a exhaust leak at maybe at the man. flange.

Hi Ed,

Thx for answering.

You're probably right because if I accelerate lightly, I don't hear it. However I don't understand why it does that only in 3rd gear.

Update: The noise reminds me of the sound a computer hard drive produces when it's working, but louder of course.

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,607 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:06 PM

could be a heat sheild too. Its complicated why it only does it at sometimes vs others.

nipper

#5 tunered

tunered

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 424 posts
  • vincent,ohio

Posted 27 November 2005 - 05:57 PM

Hi Ed,

Thx for answering.

You're probably right because if I accelerate lightly, I don't hear it. However I don't understand why it does that only in 3rd gear.

Update: The noise reminds me of the sound a computer hard drive produces when it's working, but louder of course.

from what you are saying about the hard drive,maybe this is "spark knock",next time you are low on fuel try preimium,just 5-8 dollars worth till you see if that helps. most small exhaust leaks make themself known when the engine is lugging.

#6 jeansain

jeansain

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Toronto, Ontario

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:21 PM

from what you are saying about the hard drive,maybe this is "spark knock",next time you are low on fuel try preimium,just 5-8 dollars worth till you see if that helps. most small exhaust leaks make themself known when the engine is lugging.

I don't think it's knocking. Because it would do it mostly when climbing hills and not just in 3rd, which is not the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users