Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear camber issue

ok i think i already asked about this before. one of my rear wheels is showing alot of negative camber, and abnormal tire ware. im wondering what could cause this. too much weight inthe subaru at one time? bad rubber bushings? trailing arm could be bent? would finding a new or another trailinga arm fix it?

one dude on here said to wack it with a BFH. i really don't know if this will solve anything.. but rather put even more stress on the bearings.

Today i jacked the car up and tried to see if there was anything loose and i felt nothing.

well....after lowering my RX...i noticed there was excessive -camber and toe in...

After replacing the stock bushings with the SuperPro poly bushing kit for the rear...the -camber went from -2.0 to -0.5 and the toe almost back to zero at the same ride height.

I imagine replacing the old ones with new OE ones would have a similar effect.

My vote is for bushings.

i was thinking the same. the shocks are shot. and the car had a trailer hitch on it when i got it. :-\ so it could very well be some wore out rubber. i guess i can start there before i start smahsing the car with a BFH..im not that much of a shade tree mechanic.

BTW are poly bushings available for my subaru. i probably end up paying 50 bucks for oem ruber and have to remove the trailing arms to get them pressed out. :(

i was looking up the Super Pro bushings and it seems they are available but i can tell if they sell the two rear bushings

link

looking at it from the rear of the car...think of it as a V the the point of the V being where the rear wheel is....and one side of the V being alot shorter than the other.

One end of the V ends at the subframe more towards the middle of the car...theres a bushing there. The other ends way out towards the outermost reach of the subframe...almost 8 inches from the outerportions of the body shell...theres a bushing there. I believe that is called the trailing link...where as the first peice is called the trailing arm.

looking at it from the rear of the car...think of it as a V the the point of the V being where the rear wheel is....and one side of the V being alot shorter than the other.

One end of the V ends at the subframe more towards the middle of the car...theres a bushing there. The other ends way out towards the outermost reach of the subframe...almost 8 inches from the outerportions of the body shell...theres a bushing there. I believe that is called the trailing link...where as the first peice is called the trailing arm.

i figure if you pull that off then you have problems with the tortion bar... possibly.

• 8 years later...

That's why I prefer the older ones...

I'm gonna replace my inner bushing soon, my driver's side rear wheel has a noticeable lean to it and when I checked underneath the trailing arm seems to make an odd angle with the subframe where it joins up near the center. I was told by the alignment shop (actually Les Schwab, I don't recommend) that there was no adjustment they could make, and this was likely due to the lift kit. At first I believed that theory until I thought about the physics of it, and now wonder if doing alignments is the job they give the new techs in training.

That said, is there anyone with experience changing out those inner bushings? If no, I will gladly write up my experience with it, since this seems to be a fairly common problem.