Ultimate Subaru Message Board

grinding (abs) in only one wheel?

Tonight I noticed that I have a abs sounding grind coming from my front pass. wheel. Only that wheel, under hard braking, on dry pavement. The car stops fine and stops straight. I didn't notice any pulsating in the pedal, but I will have to check more thourghly. For some reason I didn't even pay attention to the pedal, as I thought it was a bearing or tie rod or something. The abs works fine as I tested it in a snowy parking lot after my discovery of this unknown noise. Anybod have any ideas? I guess I will have to go out and try it again, so I'll post my new results when I get back.

I wish I could describe the sound better. Its not metal on metal, its not a squell. seems to sound like creaking wood I guess, kinda like abs but not as fast and more of a lower tone. I dont know about the pads although it passed NH inspection. No squeling noises, well actuall I do get a slight squel noise once and a while, but could never determine where it came from. I'll prolly take the wheel off tom. to see whats up with the pads and backside of the rotor. I'll update once I do this.

Actually when does it make this noise, all the time or just first thing in the morning?

On inspections, they only pull one wheel to inspect the brakes if the dont do it electonically, and fro some reason its always the left front, murphies law i guess... so its possible you have a sticky caliper and a bad pad ...

nipper

Well i didn't check the pad as it was wet and chilly today and I have a pretty bad cold. I did find out what the unknown squel is. Its my brakes. Now it only last till about the middle of second - normal/light driving. If I touch the brakes while it is happening the squell goes away, let off the brakes and it comes back. I found out by driving on the side of wall, so apparently the squel is coming from the driver side (frnt or back, I dunno). What does this mean? Again i dont think it happens all the time (at least I dont hear it all the time).........I am thinking it only happens when the brakes are real hot. But either way, why would this happen?

My brakes dont squel while braking, just when I start to accelerate.

Well i didn't check the pad as it was wet and chilly today and I have a pretty bad cold. I did find out what the unknown squel is. Its my brakes. Now it only last till about the middle of second - normal/light driving. If I touch the brakes while it is happening the squell goes away, let off the brakes and it comes back. I found out by driving on the side of wall, so apparently the squel is coming from the driver side (frnt or back, I dunno). What does this mean? Again i dont think it happens all the time (at least I dont hear it all the time).........I am thinking it only happens when the brakes are real hot. But either way, why would this happen?

My brakes dont squel while braking, just when I start to accelerate.

You'll probably find out with an inspection of the brakes and calipers. How many miles on this set of pads? (front and rear) Sometimes the 'signal squealer' is intermittent just as the pads wear down to minimum.

I once had a horrible squeal on my old Datsun 2000 convertible - turned out to be a pebble stuck between the backing plate and the rotor.

Well, I have done a few brake jobs on different cars. Never a roo. I have no idea how to take the caliper off, I didn't even attempt because this top bolt(pin) has me stumped.

i=wMTE0MTExNjZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx

Now something I did notice on the left (pass.) brake, which might explain the sounds I hear under hard braking. You can notice the backing plate not attached to the pad, although it is attached at the bottom of the pad. All the pads seem to be worn evenly, although I cant see the backs, and all seem to have a lot of life left.

i=wMTE0MTExNTZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx

My rotors look kinda beat though. They are pitted and have some very, very, very minor grooves in them....Kinda like ripples if you look down on them. Could this be causing the squell??

i=wMTE0MTExNzZzNDEzZGZkMzF5NTQx

How long can I go on these? I am low on cash for a lil while, so if I could hold off till spring that would be great. Once I figure out how to get that top pin off I will take all 4 calipers off and grease them up....pins, sliders, anti-rattle clips.

i cant tell from the pics, but the calipers are real easy. You do them like any other car. i dont think they hanged them from my 98 all that much Use a C clamp to compress them. Remove the bottom bolt and they swing up. Real easy. i would get a set of inexpensive pads as long as you are going to do things properly come spring. I am not sure about the pics, but if the brake pad has seperated from the plate its mounted on it must be replaced.

nipper

Thanks, I will get some cheap pads and prolly do it next week......

So how do you lube the top pin. I understand that you just pivot on it, but wouldn't it still need to be lubed up....I assume the back are the same. I didn't take the back wheels off since my driveway is a downward slope, and the grass is way to wet to jack up a car:-\