Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Would it be possible?

Jibs

I'm kinda stillm learning what will work and why on these soobs, so a gentle explanation here would be appreciated.:) Would it be possible to mount a nissan T-case on my 4" lifted Brat IF (<----key word) I didn't mind cutting a hole in the body for the t-case to stick through? Where would this be at? I've read through posts and posts about it and did searches, and most say that a 6 or 8" kit is minimum for it ton work, but trimming a little doesn't bother me too much. I know I'd have to get some mounts made for the Transfer case. Thanks.

I'm kinda stillm learning what will work and why on these soobs, so a gentle explanation here would be appreciated.:) Would it be possible to mount a nissan T-case on my 4" lifted Brat IF (<----key word) I didn't mind cutting a hole in the body for the t-case to stick through? Where would this be at? I've read through posts and posts about it and did searches, and most say that a 6 or 8" kit is minimum for it ton work, but trimming a little doesn't bother me too much. I know I'd have to get some mounts made for the Transfer case. Thanks.

Im thinking its got to do with the drive line!

I dunno how the front of the T case mates to the 5 speed, or 4 speed, but its my thinking that this needs to be as straight as possible, you may be running into problems there, but thats all i can see, maybe someone who has done it will oblige us with some pictures, i'm hoping to do somthing like that myself, ifn' i get this job i might get me a garage to myself and maybe swing down to Iowa to get a Toyota frame and axles.

The intermediate shaft from the Nissan Tcase will mate to either the 4 or 5spd tranny. In my opinion 8 inches is the minimum for a Tcase mod. The plane that the shaft from the tranny opperates on (and this is with the engine/tranny raised into stock position) dictates that the top of the Tcase be about one inch from the top of the tunnel. At 8 inches the height of the Tcase is higher than that of the stock tranny with a 4 inch lift, but just by a hair. Less than that and the Tcase is lower than the stock ground clearance. I know this isn't what you want to hear but an 8 inch lift is needed.

You can do it with less than 8"s of lift, I'm running only 6"s on mine, no problems, no cutting, and no less ground clearance. A 4" would be pushing it, although technically you could do it. What you would have to do is unbolt the tranny and engine from their crossmembers, move them up as high as you can get them, the fabricate up a new crossmember for them to sit on at the higher location. Then you need to mount a rear diff under the tranny, to the the stock crossmember.

Technically, with a bit of work, it can get done. Although your engie would be sitting a little higher than normal in the engine compartment, and quite possibly you need to have an intermediate shaft made for it to work right.

Here is a link to a gallery with a bunch of pictures of my lift, the T-case attachment, and diff attachments.

http://usmb.net/gallery/albun96