Ultimate Subaru Message Board

diff lock

I belive the automatic (4EAT) FT4wd also had diff lock switches

There is a lock switch on the 4EAT but it doesn't lock the center diff, it's locked (or controlled) by a selenoid controlled by the trans ECU. The lock switch on the shift console locks the car in low gear. There is no 1st gear position on the shifter, it's 23DNRP. If you going down a steep hill the switch will lock it in low so it won't shift to second. However the trans ECU will override the lock and shift into 2nd gear at 6500 RPM to prevent damage to the engine. Although I read about this in the manual, I have tested it first hand many times in my wifes old '90 Loyale turbo :burnout:

Guest taprackready

I'm thinking it is not understood by some of the board members what this center diff lock thing is.

Instead of the front and rear axles spinning independently of each other based on wheel spin, it locks them together. However, unless you have a LSD or locker in front or rear, you still only have one front and rear wheel with power.

Anybody ever own a mid 70's chevy pickup with full time 4x4? 4x4 works all the time, slipping power from front to rear based on wheel spin, but when the going gets really tough you still have the option of using the hi/low lock lever and locking the front and rear axle to make a 50/50 distribution of power.

Or how about this. Any late model Ford Exploder owners? Full time 4x4, applying power to the axle that is spining, but twist the knob on the dash and it locks the front and rear together to make a 50/50.

All this is a completely seperate issue from axle locking devices for rear axle or front transaxle in the case of transaxle.

Bill