Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

gotta gremlin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 thesubeguy

thesubeguy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Bothell

Posted 27 November 2005 - 04:35 PM

86 turbo wagon. just swapped a previously running engine into it. had it crank, started for a couple seconds, now when i turn the key there is no power, just a very dim oil light coming on. checked the fusable links and they're all there, even did continuity test on the backs of em to make sure. any idea what this sudden loss of all power could be? oh and the button that locks and unlocks the rear hatch still works for some reason..... AHH

Andrew

#2 Tin Soldier

Tin Soldier

Wannabe awesome guy.

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Franklin, PA

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:13 PM

86 turbo wagon. just swapped a previously running engine into it. had it crank, started for a couple seconds, now when i turn the key there is no power, just a very dim oil light coming on. checked the fusable links and they're all there, even did continuity test on the backs of em to make sure. any idea what this sudden loss of all power could be? oh and the button that locks and unlocks the rear hatch still works for some reason..... AHH

Andrew

Did you check the fuses under the dash? I had a fuse blow under the dash that did what you have described. Does it try to turn over? If it tries to turn over but doesn't start then check timing belts.

#3 Island Roo

Island Roo

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 149 posts
  • Quadra Island

Posted 27 November 2005 - 07:54 PM

have you unplugged any connections? i would get the battery checked and clean the batt terminals , dont overlook the easy stuff

#4 thesubeguy

thesubeguy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Bothell

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

checked all fuses even under dash, battery is fine is less than a year old optima and has been starting my z the entire time. the thing is that it has pretty much no power whatsoever. the only signal that there is some power getting from the battery is that the oil light comes on in that bar of red lights, but is incredibly dim, and the hatch button works

Andrew

#5 Tin Soldier

Tin Soldier

Wannabe awesome guy.

• Members
  • 555 posts
  • Franklin, PA

Posted 27 November 2005 - 08:32 PM

checked all fuses even under dash, battery is fine is less than a year old optima and has been starting my z the entire time. the thing is that it has pretty much no power whatsoever. the only signal that there is some power getting from the battery is that the oil light comes on in that bar of red lights, but is incredibly dim, and the hatch button works

Andrew

Check your grounds. My friends and I have had trouble with bad grounds on these cars and that would do it. Sometime the cable from the battery to the car body is corroded or broke.

#6 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 28 November 2005 - 12:12 AM

reminds me of 2 different vehicles and the same problem!
the rx would have intermittent power, but only after I opened and closed the door, turns out it was a bad connection with a fuse link, iirc, the green one opposite end of the black one

the brat, dead unless I run a wire from the alternator B+ terminal to the battery, which also has the car white wire?
if it will start, but not charge, the 2 terminal connector on the alt may be disconected
if it will show 18+, you are running from the alt

#7 thesubeguy

thesubeguy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Bothell

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:10 PM

so is the big fat white wire that goes from the fuseable links to the alternator? or do i have somethin hooked up wrong...

#8 thesubeguy

thesubeguy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Bothell

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:17 PM

found out what the problem was on this. the fuseable link box was all messed up and somehow was conduction electricy everywhere even through some plastic. swapped in another box that i had sitting around from my rx, turned key and fired right up. i think the connections were all corroded inside the gl-10 box.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users