Ultimate Subaru Message Board

gotta gremlin

86 turbo wagon. just swapped a previously running engine into it. had it crank, started for a couple seconds, now when i turn the key there is no power, just a very dim oil light coming on. checked the fusable links and they're all there, even did continuity test on the backs of em to make sure. any idea what this sudden loss of all power could be? oh and the button that locks and unlocks the rear hatch still works for some reason..... AHH

Andrew

86 turbo wagon. just swapped a previously running engine into it. had it crank, started for a couple seconds, now when i turn the key there is no power, just a very dim oil light coming on. checked the fusable links and they're all there, even did continuity test on the backs of em to make sure. any idea what this sudden loss of all power could be? oh and the button that locks and unlocks the rear hatch still works for some reason..... AHH

Andrew

Did you check the fuses under the dash? I had a fuse blow under the dash that did what you have described. Does it try to turn over? If it tries to turn over but doesn't start then check timing belts.

checked all fuses even under dash, battery is fine is less than a year old optima and has been starting my z the entire time. the thing is that it has pretty much no power whatsoever. the only signal that there is some power getting from the battery is that the oil light comes on in that bar of red lights, but is incredibly dim, and the hatch button works

Andrew

checked all fuses even under dash, battery is fine is less than a year old optima and has been starting my z the entire time. the thing is that it has pretty much no power whatsoever. the only signal that there is some power getting from the battery is that the oil light comes on in that bar of red lights, but is incredibly dim, and the hatch button works

Andrew

Check your grounds. My friends and I have had trouble with bad grounds on these cars and that would do it. Sometime the cable from the battery to the car body is corroded or broke.

reminds me of 2 different vehicles and the same problem!

the rx would have intermittent power, but only after I opened and closed the door, turns out it was a bad connection with a fuse link, iirc, the green one opposite end of the black one

the brat, dead unless I run a wire from the alternator B+ terminal to the battery, which also has the car white wire?

if it will start, but not charge, the 2 terminal connector on the alt may be disconected

if it will show 18+, you are running from the alt

found out what the problem was on this. the fuseable link box was all messed up and somehow was conduction electricy everywhere even through some plastic. swapped in another box that i had sitting around from my rx, turned key and fired right up. i think the connections were all corroded inside the gl-10 box.