Ultimate Subaru Message Board

85 Brat EGR light always on!

Ever since I bought my Brat the EGR light has been on constantly. Now I'm guessing that it's probably cause the EGR isn't functioning (just guessing). The light is on SOLID all the time. Never goes out - never flashes. What I'm wondering is how this marvelous light works? I looked at the EGR - made funny faces, contorted myself into the engine compartment tracing vacuum lines.... and for the life of me, I can't figure out how the light comes on. What sensor does this job? As far as I can see there is no wires going into anything related to the EGR, or the anti-backfire solenoid. I suppose I could just replace the EGR, but I'm one of those people who has to know WHY, and HOW it works before I touch it. Am I just crazy?

GD

Can' say for sure that its this but some Subees have a circut under the dash that after say 60,000 miles the egr light lights to remind the user to have that system checked. There is a plug under the dash and you would undo it from where its pluged and replug it to another and that resets the light, sorry I can't give more specific info but its been along time since I was under the dash of that specific breed.:cornfuzz:

GD, just did this to one of my 86 Brats

The connectors are to the inside of the vehicle and above the fuse box.

Pull the trim panel down.

The connectors are green and blue.

On mine I separated the green to green and replaced one with the proper match blue.

She be out, and yes, gb is correct it is triggered by a mileage timer.

Hope this helps

Guess that shows how many times my poor Brat has been serviced. I just went out and fixed it.... YAY! I guess this isn't a big topic since most of them have already been reset. I was thinking it was a recuring type of light - comming on EVERY 60,000. Kindof strange that they would only have it come on once. This is a difference between the 82+ dash and the 80/81 dash - I just verified that the 80 dash I have does NOT have an EGR light at all. Interesting....

GD

GD, IIRC, that light isn't to remind you to replace the EGR valve, it's to remind you to remove and clean it (but I can't recall for sure). And as much of the passage behind it as you can reach. I find a coathanger is sometimes handy.

Helps to keep the pinging to a minimum.

I bet the one in my 87 GL was on longer... if they do indeed come on at 60K, then the previous owner (I belive the 2nd owner) had it on there from 60K all the way to 215K (when I bought the car)

When I got it, it still had the black tape residue, but the dealer had fixed the light.

If they DO re-occur.... then my light is ready to come on somewhere near 275,900 miles

There are many different cars that have lights come on w/ timers. I'm reminded of 80's Dodge pickups, a Geo Tracker, and the O2 sensor light in my Jag goes out with the touch of a button (which is located in the trunk, along with the computer).

Oh - I knew that - I had a Volvo 850 turbo that had a service light that came on every 5,000 miles. Only way to turn it off is to get the dealer to do it, or buy a $300 ODBII scan tool that knows about the proprietary Volvo codes. That's one of the small reasons I got rid of that peice of crap, and a big reason I wouldn't buy another one.

GD

Originally posted by GeneralDisorder

I had a Volvo 850 turbo that had a service light that came on every 5,000 miles. Only way to turn it off is to get the dealer to do it, or buy a $300 ODBII scan tool . . .

There is a reset procedure for that Service light on the 850 Volvo, that can be performed without any special tools. It's involved but not impossible. I've got it in a reference manual somewhere, but the procedure may be the same as Mr. Barron's post. It's similar, at least (I recall reading the procedure and shaking my head).