Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help! 98 Forester 100k miles overheated for first time. Pulled over, opened hood and coolant overflow was full of oil! Let sit to cool, drove to nearest station, flushed antifreeze and changed oil. Appeared to be no coolant in oil. Let idle for an hour without overheating. Drove home (2 miles) and foaming coolant everywhere! There was no smoke out the back and no change in performance either time. Every board I see with similar symtoms looks like gasket issues. Sounds like big bucks. Any guesses as to what's a matter and how much as well as anyone in the S. Jersey area that can recommend a good place to take 'er? Once again, help!

ok, expensive. but how much? 500? 2000? do I auction it off? I just bought it used in April. No warranty naturally. Long shot additional clues-engine hot radiator cold, heat shut off right before it blew, no put-put air/sound from exhaust but............gasket, right?

Yeah -- the reason the radiator and heater core were cold was that the coolant was low, from being slowly burned. Sounds like the classic head gasket to me. When I blew mine I got a cloud of white smoke for a minute or so, then nothing till two weeks later it overheated bad, and when I checked, it was about a gallon low on coolant. Never did see any smoke past the first burst, and I never got oil in the coolant or vice versa either. Just used alot of coolant.

I've heard estimates from $1200 to $2800 on this forum for fixing it. If you don't have a cracked block. If you are mechanically inclined and have a warm garage, you could do it yourself, for about $400 in parts. I'd allow two full weekends, based on my experience.

I had my HGs done,(98 O/B), for $1200 Cdn. Including new plugs, timing belt, crank and camshaft seals. I didn't go to the dealer but instead, went to a local garage who had already done the same work on Subarus before. He was going to use Felpro gaskets but I told him to get them from Subaru....they were about $75 more.

It's been 5000 kms..so far so good.