Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Good Mechanic/Indy Shop Needed in Seattle....

Brian Page, my faithful, steadfast & reliable mechanic of ten years(& 3 subies) is apparently on vacation/sabbatical from his Burien location until after New Years. Unfortunately, I'm going to need a brake job (F&R/turn rotors) on my '92 Legacy wagon sooner rather than later. Will take the car to Carter's if I have too, but was wondering if someone could recommend a four-star, Seattle-area, indy shop or mechanic instead. I live on Capitol Hill and work downtown, so closer is better, logistically. Thanks! Mark

Mark, you won't do better than Smart Service, just up I5 for you in Shoreline. http://www.smart-service.com/and 206-417-0880.

Brian Page, my faithful, steadfast & reliable mechanic of ten years(& 3 subies) is apparently on vacation/sabbatical from his Burien location until after New Years. Unfortunately, I'm going to need a brake job (F&R/turn rotors) on my '92 Legacy wagon sooner rather than later. Will take the car to Carter's if I have too, but was wondering if someone could recommend a four-star, Seattle-area, indy shop or mechanic instead. I live on Capitol Hill and work downtown, so closer is better, logistically. Thanks! Mark

I've been really happy with Smart Service since I took the board's recommendations and went their myself. I've never been treated as well as I have there by any other mechanic...ever. Last repair was a cooling system issue. Dealer wanted about $700- Smart Service quoted $450- Did the job for $250-.

Speaking of which, I need to call them and see what they'll charge me to replace my steering rack.