Ultimate Subaru Message Board

CEL - 2000 Legacy Outback - P0442 diagnostic code

When we first took the car in to have the CEL diagnosed, the dealer reported code P0442 and recommended that we have the catalytic convertor and o2 sensors replaced, which we did to about the tune of $1300.

Now, the CEL is back on again about two months later, and I'm seeing diagnostic code P0442 again (thank you Autozone). It does not appear to be a gas cap problem as ive torqued it down several times and still see the CEL.

The dealer says that if they find problems with their repairs they will handle everything free. But, if they find nothing wrong with their work, they will bill me a diagnosis fee of $95, on top of any additional repair work that I elect for. Whether its relevant or not, I got the impression they dont take diagnostic codes from outside their repair shop. Maybe the diagnostic fee includes other tests or an overall inspection.

I sense a conflict of interest here. I'm almost tempted to take the car to another dealership, but the dealer that did the repair work has a 12 month/12000 mile warranty.

Any thoughts on this? Is there anything obvious that I'm missing, or any relatively simple things I can check out myself? I searched the forums but found very little information on evaporative emission leaks that would cause this.

TIA.

I think the shop you took it to is either full of idiots, or they had some leftover parts they wanted to sell you...

The code you described is for a evaporative emissions leak. The catalytic converter and O2 sensors are part of a whole different system. The most likely cause of an EVAP leak is a bad gas cap or leaks in the hoses in the evap system.

But, those repairs don't come with a $1000+ bill.

Matt

Get a NEW gas cap. I had a CEL with a code of P0440. I was using a cheapo locking gas cap. My mechanic suggested going back and using the regular Subaru cap. I got a new Stant non-locking cap and the problem has never come back.

Oh......last thing.....find yourself a new mechanic too. This guy is ripping you off big time.

~Howard

:banana:

It sounds like the dealership you are using really knows what they are doing... When it comes to stealing your money!! Of course they offer a warranty on their repairs. That way they get you to keep coming back to get different things fixed when all you needed was a simple repair.

Of course, they installed the catalytic converter and O2 sensors correctly... (Even though there was no reason to.) They will say that there was no fault there, but that your car has a more serious problem that needs further diagnosis, and maybe replacing some other parts, etc... This will go on until you have spent thousands of more dollars or until you pick up on the game they play.

Enjoy your new parts, but go somewhere else to get your car fixed from now on, or do some diagnostics yourself. Above all things, get that new gas cap today and see if that works.

Matt

• 8 years later...

Fuel Filler Neck – CEL:  P0442

Bot new neck pipe on Ebay.  Hoses, screws, hose clamps...you will get at
AutoZone.  The new check valve
you get at Subaru dealer.  Some of the
mounting bolts might be frozen, but tap them with hammer and wood and spray
with WD40 for 15 minutes before cranking them off might help.  The hardest part for me was trying to
separate
the hoses from the corroded steel pipes and lines.  All seemed
impossible.  I suppose you could saw apart the old rusted filler
neck and get some swing room that way to twist it out of the rubber hose
connecting to the gas tank.

• 3 weeks later...

In the end, I sent the car to the shop.  He used my new parts which totaled me about $200.  His labor was $165 on top of that.  All fixed now.

2001 Forester with 128k on her.  All rust belt miles.

Edited by unibrook