Ultimate Subaru Message Board

shifter chopping

I have a push button 4WD shifter from an XT (pistol grip! yeah!) that I'm going to install in my turbowagon.. I'll have the shift linkage moved up an inch to give it a shorter throw without shortening the shifter, and I'm going to hook up the center diff in my RX transmission to the push button in the shifter :cool:

man it's the most hilarious thing... my friend has a monstrous jeep with little exhaust and 37" krawlers, and he put a loudspeaker hooked up to a cb mic. Anyways, he plays this cd that has 1 song on it, it's that "move, bitch" song by Ludacris (i think). Anyways, he sticks the mic to the speaker on his stereo, revs his engine, and everybody will pull over for him. This loudspeaker is great for pranks, and he can vent his roadrage, and the other guy actually hears him. :D Just the other day we pulled the move, B*** thing on a little lowered honda with some kid in a car full of girls, god it was funny. He pulled over fast.

Hopefully I will be able to have the same effect in the subaru...

:eh:

i ALWAYS chop as much of the shifter off that i can. then i take a piece of cardboard and poke a hole in it, then i stick it over the cut off shifter so i can weld it while its still in the car:headbang:

i weld the old threaded part back on the top and:banana: i can shift fast enough to make the tanny grind:-\ its great though. my brother does the skull with set screws, cuz he dont weld

Originally posted by TheSubaruJunkie

Can I just cut 3 or 4" off the shifter, and then thread the shifter again instead of welding the shifter back together? I dont like the idea of having welds on my shifter.

-Brian

This is what I did Brian (on my 87 wagon that I brought to Johns place)

Cut the shifter linkage 2 inches, then thread the linkage on the remaining metal part with a 1.25 pitch die. Basically I used just as little of the metal AFTER the bend in the rod as i needed to have the knob fit on. using a shorter knob helps quite a bit too. (my brat is using my old 87 GL knob and it feels like driving an old school 1 ton chevy cause the stroke is so long)

anyway, EA82 how to cut and rethread the linkage is here:

My "short LENGTH" shifter

Oh, and I know the page says 1.75 inches, but it was really 2 inches... I fixed the shifter later and chopped off that extra 1/4 inch cause the boot wasnt staying on the knob.... now it is since I chopped that extra bit off :D