Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

fuseable links....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 thesubeguy

thesubeguy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Bothell

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:08 PM

Crazy idea but i thought these things were supposed to cut the flow of electricity through those wires, but when i hook up the battery i get a 12v reading from the red connection, about a 2v from the inner green one, and a little less than 1v from the other green and black ones. Yes i don't have the links in place when i'm doing this. Is this supposed to happen or do i have a connection somewhere in the circuitry...

HELP

Andrew

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,931 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:05 PM

Think of them as just a big fuse for multiple circuits in the fusebox. There should be the amount of voltage the battery contains flowing thru them (12 off 13.8-14.5 running).

#3 thesubeguy

thesubeguy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Bothell

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:09 PM

but if the links are out why am i getting voltage

#4 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 29 November 2005 - 07:22 PM

you should have 12v from one side for all connectors
one set usually has 12v on both sides, mine's black

#5 Durania

Durania

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,113 posts
  • Crossville, TN

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:09 PM

I still get crap from the links in mine. I wasn't paying attention one day and put the battery in backwards and burnt the middle link in two, that forced me to custom fabricate one right there in the middle of the field.

#6 thesubeguy

thesubeguy

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 142 posts
  • Bothell

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:25 PM

no i'm getting 12v with the link out. isn't it completing a circuit with it in, but with it out there should be no current running through it. it's going across where the link would be.

#7 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:50 AM

The readings you are getting is due to the series voltage drop across the meter. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish by doing this. The position that you read 12 volts at means something is trying to draw some current but can't due to the meter resistance. Since the voltmeter resistance is much higher than the circuit resistance all the voltage is dropped across the meter. If you are working on something that is staying on with the car turned off and killing the battery then you should refer to my posting I sent you in your other thread.

If you are trying to measure the current that each leg is drawing then I can see a reason to do what you are trying to do but the meter needs to be in the current function then. That makes the meter a low resistance to the circuit as compared to a high resistance in the voltage mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users