Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just Installed Honda Accord springs

I sourced a set of 14" Pugs, so I also got front springs from a LX model Accord. This is the roughest ride I've ever experienced, either car or truck.... is this normal?

The back now bounces (jars) no matter how slight the bump. This was the recomended "LX" springs, not the "LXi".

TIA,

Todd

did you cut about 2'' worth of spring off of the spring? i didnt and i have the same problem. it bounces so much it darn near breaks your neck. i wish there was a better mod for this kind thing, but there really isnt. if you cut the springs, dont use a torch, it will mess up the temper in the springs. instead use a set of decent bolt cutters or a grinder with a cuting wheel on it. im going to do this soon, it is really rough on the neck.

~Josh~

I didn't cut anything.... I never read anything that said to. I was under the impression that this was a bolt on mod.

I could actually use the extra lift, because the size tire that was on the Pugs (195/75/15) when I got them rubbed the fender-well a little when I went over a decent sized bump.

How would cutting the spring, change the spring rate?

-Todd

it wouldn't, the reason these springs raise the rear end so much, is they're designed to hold up the engine/tranny of an accord, and putting them on the rear of a wagon it doesn't compress them as much.

it is a bolt on mod, but it will make a much more rough ride....personally, I'd find some adjustable rear struts, and adjust them up with stock springs

the rough ride is normal for the honda springs. there are many different ones with diferent spring rates depending on what car they were from.

I often take my car on long trips with a fully loaded vehicle. under those conditions the springs work excelent at maintaining ride height and control with a decent comfort Level. normal empty car driving was a bit rougher than most people like.

I no longer run them because I did not want the increased ride height any longer.

currently I have an odd ball threaded body adjustable coil over from an early Lancer mixed with a honda lowering spring. it rides better on the street with the exception of speed bumps.

I also tried a cheapo coil over that fit on the stock type strut. It was ok untill it blew out in the middle of death vally. I did a ghetto fix and limped 300+ miles home.

the 85-86? EA82 cars had the adjustable spring pearch with three settings. KYB sold them but I had a dificult time finding the correct part#. The Listings for subaru parts are horible.

so after all that I still have not found the perfect set up for rear suspension at a reasonably low price.

good luck

I believe Russ is correct. 85-86 4wds should have adjustable struts. I know mine does.

I haven't found mine overly harsh, but it may be that I'm usually carrying a load in the back and that I'm used to driving trucks and other heavily sprung vehicles. I know my car handles frost heaves a lot better with the honda springs in the rear and RX springs up front. It used to bottom out on the big ones if I was doing over 60 with a heavy load, but now I can maintain 75 or more over all but the biggest ones.

I have accord springs in my wagon, but do not experience nearly what you are talking about. I live on a dirt road and the ride is slightly stiffer then stock but not bad or unbearable.

Unfortunatly I did not install them, Trogdor did, so I don't know what they came off of.

I also have RX springs in the front. THe car I think handles a little better because it doesn't feel like it leans on turns as much. I use it offroading and as a daily driver and do see a problem with the setup.

Maybe I just got lucky and got some worn out springs :lol: BTW I have brand new shocks. WHen I first bought the car from Trogdor the pass rear strut was shot and would bang around when you hit a bump. I put new struts on and no more problem. Maybe you just have worn out struts?:grin:

Allright guys, I appreciate the replies. The struts that I have are brand new, so that isn't the problem.

What '85-'86 model came with the ea82? (sorry, I'm new at the Subaru thing). I see that one of your sigs lists a "GL Wagon"; would that be all of them, or will I physically need to be opening hoods to check?

Maybe I'll look for a set of the adjustable rear struts and a good set of stock rear springs... I know for a fact that my old rear springs were shot.

Thanks,

Todd

I don't want to be getting used struts from the j/y and I called KYB to see if they were available.

Apparently they don't make them.... I spoke with a rep who told me that they used to make them for Subauru (O.E supplier), but Subaru never gave them the rights to produce them with the adjustable perches for the aftermarket. When the time was up, and they were allowed to produce them, they never went into full production. They only offer a stock height perched model.

Is it safe to assume that rear springs on wagons will be stiffer than the ones on sedans? I may just make a spacer to lift the spring on my existing struts.

Thanks for the replies!

-Todd

very interesting.

I had a set of adjustable spring pearch KYBs that I put on my 85 gl 4wd wagon.

looking at the current listings I dont see it.

I am suspicious that the part# 343056 might be the ones as it states that it does not come with the spring pearch. but then you would need the spring pearch to make it work I guess.

http://www.kyb.com

What '85-'86 model came with the ea82? (sorry, I'm new at the Subaru thing). I see that one of your sigs lists a "GL Wagon"; would that be all of them, or will I physically need to be opening hoods to check?

Thanks,

Todd

like that snowman in ak said.....any 85-86 4wd wagon has them. They only made GL and DL's....hope that helps a bit.

neal

in response to this and the earlier post on KYB struts, i did some checking last spring even though they are KYB struts and adjustable and they came factory on the subarus, you can not get them that way from KYB. KYB has a contract with subaru to make these struts and the only way to get them with the adjustable spring perch new is through subaru, KYB won't sell them privately and doesn't have a listing for them in their catalogs.they aren't cheap either, i can't remember for sure but it seems to me they we're around $150 each for the front and $80 each for the rear.

very interesting.

I had a set of adjustable spring pearch KYBs that I put on my 85 gl 4wd wagon.

looking at the current listings I dont see it.

I am suspicious that the part# 343056 might be the ones as it states that it does not come with the spring pearch. but then you would need the spring pearch to make it work I guess.

www.kyb.com

Well, I took off the Accord springs and installed a set from a wagon. The wagon springs are firm enough for what I need, but lost a lot of the clearance. So far I haven't had any rubbing issues, but I haven't put any weight in the trunk, either.

Thanks for the help, people.

-Todd

P.S., the Accord LX springs are for sale if anyone is looking for a pair.

Well, I took off the Accord springs and installed a set from a wagon. The wagon springs are firm enough for what I need, but lost a lot of the clearance. So far I haven't had any rubbing issues, but I haven't put any weight in the trunk, either.
Could you please measure the length and the inside diameter of the Accord spring? The wagon springs have a spring rate of 197 ft/lbs. The missing information can help find alternatives.

There could be a solution by purchasing the coilover springs produced by Eibach Racing. They are $60 each for almost whatever spring rate and length. The nearest spring rate is 200 ft/lbs. Nominal difference.

I am assuming they are 2.5" inside diameter (ID). Here are the lengths available:

Eibach Springs from Ground Control

2.5" ID H&R springs

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/motorsport/index.html

There other sources but I can't seem to find them at this time.